0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 3 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Vocal's--Punching in and out in pro tools 8 le

jgentry23

hello, i'm a rapper that has trouble rapping all of my verse in one take. I know all about pre roll and post roll. The thing i'm having trouble with is punching in at the exact spot where i left off. I have a hard time breathing thru a whole verse and can't say the words how i want to say them. If anybody can help, i would appeciate it! thx, by the way i'm running it with a macbook and a digi 003.
February 16, 2012 @09:16pm
Andrew_Malloy

On the back of the 003 is a foot switch input jack. If you put Pro Tools into Quick Punch mode, you can use the footswitch to enable and disable recording. This is all you would need.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalSquare
February 16, 2012 @09:27pm
Andrew_Malloy

Also, with quick punch- Pro Tools is recording the entire time. If you miss your punch in or out, but you still perform it right, you can adjust the edit to make it completely seamlessly.
February 16, 2012 @09:28pm
jpleong

Or just create a new track below it and record only the section you need?
I rarely use punch-ins...
JP
February 16, 2012 @09:37pm
jgentry23

Or just create a new track below it and record only the section you need?
I rarely use punch-ins...
JP

thx 4 the reply. So basically if i rap 6 bars and stop. i just can make a new track and start recording where ever i left off. don't have to set points or anything?
February 16, 2012 @10:08pm
Andrew_Malloy

Right, but you would want to comp them back to one track when you are done.
February 16, 2012 @10:10pm
jgentry23

thx andrew
February 17, 2012 @12:05am
yeahforbes

Also, never start cold. For example if you have an 8 line verse and you're doing half and half, do lines 1-4 on the first take and 4-8 on the second take. Not 5-8. Even though the second take of line 4 is going in the trash, it gets your voice in a place that makes the start of line 5 sound way more natural. Some rappers take advantage of the opportunity to start cold, with intentional overlapping words (especially between verse and chorus) but it usually sounds cheesy and exposes the fact that you couldn't do it in a single take.
February 17, 2012 @06:40pm