0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Question about headphone monitors

TipsusMagnus

Hey guys! I'm looking for a good headphone I can use as a monitor for live drumming, hopefully not more expensive than $100. I've checked out online reviews for the Shure SRH440, the Audio Technica ATH-M45 and the KRK KNS6400. For reasons too long to discuss, I can't go for IEMs. :( So yeah, headphones. Which one do you guys think I should go for? Or would you rather go for some other headphones at around the same price range?
February 12, 2012 @06:44pm
jpleong

If you're trying to protect your hearing (and you should) look for the greatest attenuation figures.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX29/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EX25/
My personal choice for what you ask would be the Beyerdynamic DT-770s but they're a bit out of your price range.
JP
February 12, 2012 @10:11pm
TipsusMagnus

Thanks. I'm guessing isolation should be a priority too, right?
February 14, 2012 @12:35pm
jpleong

Outside attenuation = isolation. The greater the figure, the less loud your volume has to be in your ears.
JP
February 14, 2012 @02:06pm
TipsusMagnus

Thanks for clearing that up. The DT-770 looks really good, but where I'm from (the Philippines), they're sold at close to $300. Somebody made a lot of money, lol
February 17, 2012 @07:09pm
jpleong

Thanks for clearing that up. The DT-770 looks really good, but where I'm from (the Philippines), they're sold at close to $300. Somebody made a lot of money, lol

You DID see the other two headphones I linked to, right? They're both in your price range.
JP
February 17, 2012 @07:43pm
TipsusMagnus

Yeah. I'm thinking of getting the EX29. How do those compare to the Vic Firth SIH1s?
February 18, 2012 @05:29pm
jpleong

Yeah. I'm thinking of getting the EX29. How do those compare to the Vic Firth SIH1s?

I haven't used either but if the specs between the two are accurate and honest the benefit from the EX29 is nearly two-fold over the Vic Firths. If you're partial towards Vic Firth sticks, though, the answer is already made for you ;-)
JP
February 18, 2012 @05:46pm