0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help with report on mixing desks

jay23

hi
i have to complete a short report showing the differences between a studer OnAir 1500, a soundcraft Vi4 and a tl audio M4. the main aim is to show the differences between live, studio and broadcast desks. im very new to all this and have spent hours reading the brochures and have made no headway. i was hoping someone could possibly even provide me with an overview on the main differences that are normally found between desks in each scenario even just to set me on my way to writing my report.
any help would be much appreciated.
February 10, 2012 @05:17pm
Dave Burris

Not being familiar with these desks in particular, the things where desks differ substantially for various applications are:
Pre-amp signal-to-noise, sensitivity, or gain.
Number of EQ bands, switchable or fixed EQ type (parametric, fixed-frequency, shelving, amount of cut/boost, etc.)
Number of effects and/or aux busses. Number or switchable pre/post auxes and in what combinations.
Automation or lack of automation.
Number of groups.
Overall switchable routing across mix busses.
Metering.
Number and locations of solo and talkback busses.
If you're unfamiliar with how workflow of various application might match up with various mixer features, you will have a lot of reading to do.
February 11, 2012 @03:58am