0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Active Monitors

lefty714

What are some good active monitors that are not too expensive. I will use them to make beats with reason. Will not record vocals.
February 9, 2012 @12:29am
eRoland

This is a great choice. I have seen these in some pro studios. Good reviews on serveral sites.
Alittle more low end than most low cost if you need it. If not you can eq out some lows.
Alesis M1 Active MkII
February 9, 2012 @08:21pm
jpleong

I second the Alesis suggestion. I'm also partial towards Tannoy Reveals.
Mackie MR8s might be to your liking, too, since you say you'll be making beats. These have a bit more bass than either the Alesis or Tannoy choices. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR8mk2/
JP
February 9, 2012 @09:23pm
elwoodblues1969

I've read good reviews of Alesis M1 MKII's in terms of sonic quality,but if you browse around the internet,you'll find quite a few reviews with people complaining about the power supplies of these monitors crapping out.
To make matters worse,Alesis by far,has the worst customer service in the business..as the internet is replete with grievances that can attest to this statement.
For this reason alone,I will NEVER buy another Alesis product,as Alesis really went downhill after they were bought out by Numark.
If you for some reason,end up having your heart set on these Alesis monitors,you'd be safer buying the passive Alesis monitors and buying a separate amp.
Otherwise,I would also consider M-Audio...but...without knowing what size room you have & whether or not it's acoustically treated,I can't really recommend what size,of the BX line of monitors.
It would also be very helpful if you mentioned what your budget for monitors is...just how much are you willing to spend?
February 10, 2012 @02:09am
eRoland

It is sad but must low cost stuff by every company is out of china now and it is a crap-shot every time you buy anything. I have researched every mixer under $4000 I know of is made in china, tiwan... or indon... whatever.
mackie, soundcraft, allen heath, presonus you name it. It is sad. They say engineered by comapany name in england, usa or germany but it says made in china after that somewhere. Mackie and Berhringer pots feel like everyone has a different feel. allen heath and soundcraft seem to have a better fit and feel.
Speakers are the same.
Some of them got better over time but quality control is iffy at best.
February 10, 2012 @02:49am
elwoodblues1969

It is sad but must low cost stuff by every company is out of china now and it is a crap-shot every time you buy anything. I have researched every mixer under $4000 I know of is made in china, tiwan... or indon... whatever.
mackie, soundcraft, allen heath, presonus you name it. It is sad. They say engineered by comapany name in england, usa or germany but it says made in china after that somewhere. Mackie and Berhringer pots feel like everyone has a different feel. allen heath and soundcraft seem to have a better fit and feel.
Speakers are the same.
Some of them got better over time but quality control is iffy at best.

The real issue is not so much about that most everything is made in China(this has been going on for decades)-but rather,it's more about each company's level of quality control in their production facilities and how well a company compensates the customer,when product defects occur.
Mackie is one of the best budget companies on the market,as they make remarkably clean & reliable mixers and as for companies like Soundcraft & Allen & Heath..well...you generally get the quality you pay extra for.
As for Behringer...well...they're notorious for cutting too many corners & spreading their budget way too thin and the only products from them I had any luck with,is a U-Control midi controller & a pair of 3030 monitors.
Sweetwater never used to even sell Behringer products & the only reason they are now,was due to the weak economy,as they had to make up for their losses..which included them adding another payment option,whicha 3 installment payment plan(of which I was told would never happen years ago)
February 10, 2012 @04:45pm
kev6string

I have to agree with the statement on mackie moniters...i use MR5's and they tend to be very reliable and even sounding. what i get from them is very often what i get when playing a recording after mixdown on my home stereo
as far as the reason they started carrying behringer at sweetwater was Behringer was so attimate about them carrying them and why shouldn'tsweetwater get a corner of the market. small budget equipment has it's place for the poorest of start up bands and musicians on a very slim budget who can't afford pro level gear( tho i'd stay away from their mixing consoles). personally their outboard live stuff ain't too bad such as the Composer pro which i have had for years in my live rack and has yet to let me down and does a great job for compression on live bass channel and kick thru channel inserts...would i record with it no but the ultragraph pro works great in my "moniter setup"...tho i use DBX eq's for mains and anything very critical live
February 23, 2012 @10:41am