0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Portable Power Supply for non-Batery Powered Synths?

bound

Okay I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured I was looking for something synth related (if only vaguely) so I might as well ask here.
Is there anything like a portable rechargeable battery to power synthesizers? For that matter is there such thing as a portable battery to power anything (like a car battery with a standard US wall socket built in)? Is there such device with solar panels built in to extend duration (obviously solar panels wouldn't really be able to charge it fast enough to last forever)? And even better is there a backpack version of said objects?
The thing is I need something to power my non-battery powered synth for a sort of long time (more than 4 hours) that's completely free of other power sources. Is there any such thing, and if so can somebody please link me to somewhere I can buy this? All of the other stuff is just sort-of extra brainstorming stuff, but just a car battery with sockets on it would be great.
February 8, 2012 @10:54pm
Joe Muscara

The only thing I can think of outside of a generator is a battery backup, but I don't think they will last as long as you are asking. Also, when they are running on the battery, there is usually a warning beep that would not be conductive to performing.
Solar power is still cost-prohibitive, I think.
As far as a car battery, what you're looking for is called an inverter. I don't know how long a car battery would last powering AC if it's not being charged by the running engine of the car, if that's what you're planning.
February 9, 2012 @01:48pm
TimOBrien

February 9, 2012 @02:58pm
Synthologist

Solar power is still cost-prohibitive, I think.

I have seen solar generators, but yes... they are quite expensive.
February 9, 2012 @04:32pm
bound

Hmmm, some company should try investing in something like that. I could see multiple uses for it. Thanks for the help guys I'll look into the batter backups and inverters.
EDIT:
Oh and thanks @TimOBrien, that just might be what I'm looking for.
February 9, 2012 @11:05pm
Synthologist

Oh and thanks @TimOBrien, that just might be what I'm looking for.

Not sure how much power that would give you and for how long. I'd give the supplier a call first and check before purchasing.
February 10, 2012 @08:30pm