0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

triggering samples in live performance

emeute

Hi - wondering if a midi pro might know the best way to trigger a prerecorded sample to loop continuously during a live performance. My setup is:
- live drummer
- live guitar/vocals that can step on a midi footswitch to trigger the samples
- Behringer FCB1010 footswitch
- Mac laptop running Yellow Tools/Independence Free
The idea is that I have a simple song with a verse and a chorus, and I want to trigger a bass line using the footswitch. When the song starts, I'll trigger the verse sample with a footswitch so that it loops continuously. When the song switches to the chorus, I'll trigger the chorus sample and it will loop until we reach the verse again, then I'll step on the verse pedal, etc.
I have the bass lines for the verse and chorus set up in Independence (2 bars each, looping), and can trigger them to play with the footswitch. I programmed the footswitch to play a note and a sustain pedal "on" message at the same time; that works to turn the sample on and keep it looping continuously, as if my foot were on the pedal the whole time. There are two problems with that:
- How do I get them to stop playing? I tricked Independence into stopping the verse sample when the chorus sample is triggered, by setting polyphony to 1. But how do I stop it at the end of the song? Tried programming all-notes-off and all-sounds-off control messages, also tried a sustain pedal control "off" message, but that doesn't make the sample stop.
- How do I make sure the drummer won't get ahead or behind the tempo of the bass line? What the way most people do this stuff? Drummer plays to a click track, or do something fancy like program the expression pedal to adjust the sample tempo if the drummer gets off tempo?
I have to think that there's an industry-standard way of doing this and I am just missing it here. Seems like everything I try is just a "kluge" -- what do other people do?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
February 7, 2012 @12:51am
Andrew_Malloy

Ableton Live is perfect for this. You really wouldn't even need to have the full pro version, you could do this in Ableton Live Intro. Then you could set up a MIDI note from almost anywhere to trigger start/stop on the loop.
February 7, 2012 @02:38pm
midiextender

If you need to trigger MIDI from a distance.. like on a large stage etc. there are ways to extend midi signals with Cat5 cable or Fiber Optics.
May 1, 2012 @07:28am
bvgarrity

Hi - wondering if a midi pro might know the best way to trigger a prerecorded sample to loop continuously during a live performance. My setup is:
- live drummer
- live guitar/vocals that can step on a midi footswitch to trigger the samples
- Behringer FCB1010 footswitch
- Mac laptop running Yellow Tools/Independence Free
The idea is that I have a simple song with a verse and a chorus, and I want to trigger a bass line using the footswitch. When the song starts, I'll trigger the verse sample with a footswitch so that it loops continuously. When the song switches to the chorus, I'll trigger the chorus sample and it will loop until we reach the verse again, then I'll step on the verse pedal, etc.
I have the bass lines for the verse and chorus set up in Independence (2 bars each, looping), and can trigger them to play with the footswitch. I programmed the footswitch to play a note and a sustain pedal "on" message at the same time; that works to turn the sample on and keep it looping continuously, as if my foot were on the pedal the whole time. There are two problems with that:
- How do I get them to stop playing? I tricked Independence into stopping the verse sample when the chorus sample is triggered, by setting polyphony to 1. But how do I stop it at the end of the song? Tried programming all-notes-off and all-sounds-off control messages, also tried a sustain pedal control "off" message, but that doesn't make the sample stop.
- How do I make sure the drummer won't get ahead or behind the tempo of the bass line? What the way most people do this stuff? Drummer plays to a click track, or do something fancy like program the expression pedal to adjust the sample tempo if the drummer gets off tempo?
I have to think that there's an industry-standard way of doing this and I am just missing it here. Seems like everything I try is just a "kluge" -- what do other people do?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hey Mike,
We have developed software that allows musicians to map any audio or video clip to notes on their instrument for real time triggering!! Check out vid of us messing around in office
If you want more info check out our website www.thinkplayaudio.com or email directly bvgarrity@gmail.com
rock on!
June 20, 2013 @05:05pm
bvgarrity

check out www.thinkplayaudio.com! software lets you map any audio or video clip to notes on your instrument for real time triggering!
(video of us using software)
June 20, 2013 @05:07pm