0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Luiquid saffire 56 and Pro 40 together?

rabbibump

So I got a great deal on a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and a Saffire Pro 40. I'm geeked until I read that you can't use them together. Crap!
I primarily want to us them together to get 16 outputs to my analog mixer. Is there a workaround to do this?
I've seen how you can use two interfaces and create a Aggregate device to put them together. Would this work?
Could I use the 8 ADAT outputs from the 56 into the Pro 40 and use the Pro 40 just as an D/A?
Any thoughts?
I'd hate to have to go through the hassle of selling one if I can get this to work.
I don't need all the inputs, just the outputs so I can send 16 channels out of Pro Tools 10 into my analog board.
February 4, 2012 @04:46pm
jpleong

I'm not familiar, specifically, with that combination but running multiple interfaces over Firewire is hit or miss.
I'd use one interface and get a second D/A and run that from the ADAT output of whichever interface you decide to keep.
JP
February 6, 2012 @03:21pm
Andrew_Malloy

To piggy back on JP's statement. The Saffire 40 can be used as a stand alone interface. You can pipe ADAT from the LQ56 into the 40 to be converted.
February 7, 2012 @02:17pm
rabbibump

I think I'm gonna try it two ways and see which works best. That ADAT way like you both mentioned. Also, it looks like you just can't have them on the same firewire card. So I'm going to try to run one of them through a firewire express card to see if I can use them both.
By the way, you guys and this forum are awesome!
Just another added bonus of Sweetwater goodness!
February 8, 2012 @01:13pm