0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Lots of wiggle room between XLR cord and Mic?

saltydeath

I am wondering what to do about my loose mic connection. I have a Shure SM-58, and where it connects to the xlr cable it always wiggles and causes mic noise. There seems to be a large gap between the edge of the XLR connecter and the base of the microphone. Is there some sort of rubber ring I'm missing that keeps it snug? The cord came new in the mail and didn't have one, so I'm assuming it can't be cord issue. Has anyone had this same problem? I feel like there has to be a little piece you can get to put in that connection gap and make is snug.
January 30, 2012 @02:15am
gulapiano

Microphones connect to the cord with the female to male... you get the picture. The microphone should snap tight with the end of the XLR. Since you say your cable is brand new it may be an issue with the male end of the microphone. You'll be fine as long as long as sound can be conducted from the microphone to a amplifier (or whatever you are routing it to). As for the tightness of the connection, I would use gaffers tape to hold it together.
January 31, 2012 @03:33pm
TimmyP1955

The wiggle is common, unfortunately. A thin O-Ring on the connector (take a look at a Neutrik XLR) will help.
February 5, 2012 @05:33am