0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

yamaha mg102c and audio interfaces

brianssnider

I just received my Yamaha MC102c mixing board in the mail and I have a big question. I've spent the better part of this evening trying to figure out how to connect the mixing board to my macbook pro. Some have recommended not using the stereo out jacks and connecting to the computers audio input. That led me to looking at digital audio interfaces, which I did find some that could work within my limited budget, but before I just buy another piece of equipment I began to wonder... I also have a zoom h2 digital recorder which I have seen can work as a digital audio interface. I understand the basic principal of how that would work but I guess my question is, does that really work? Is the sound quality good using that method? Would I be better off buying a separate audio interface?
I should also mention that I am mainly using all this equipment with garageband for podcasting. But do occasionally record music performances.
Thank you for all your help.
January 18, 2012 @05:13am
jpleong

You can always do "better" when considering replacing $99 components. That said, what you already have on hand WILL do what you are asking. The H2 will act as an audio interface. It is of higher quality (at least on paper) than the built in audio input of your Mac.
Try it out, learn the craft, and save your money -when you have a better grasp of everything then decide if you need to spend the money to up-gun your gear.
JP
January 26, 2012 @06:33pm