0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Bass Pedal Boards?

Last Call

I've been thinking about a bass pedal board, nothing too elaborate. Something along the line of the DigiTech BP90.
Anyone use one of these?
If so, do you like it?
If not and you do use a pedal board, what do you use?
Thanks in advance.
January 4, 2012 @04:34am
Big Bottom Willie

No experience with the Digitech BP90, but my nephew has one of their similar pedals for guitar and he quit using it for playing live because the sound was too "digital-y"...
I've owned a Zoom B2.1u for a few years now and I like it. I bought it because my band doesn't use amps, we route the sound from pedal boards straight to the soundboard/PA; I also needed a stage tuner and volume pedal. It's a very versatile unit, with 1/4" (stereo), XLR, and USB connectivity. Drum machine, believable amp models, built like a tank. I'm sure I'm under-utilizing the thing, with all its possibilities, but I'm more of a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. More expensive than the BP90, but I think it's a good value for the price.
Hope this helps.
January 4, 2012 @02:21pm
Last Call

Thanks for the info. I have heard some good things about the Zoom's.
I don't use alot of effects, but when I do want a change in sound while playing live I would like it to be easy and quick.
Thanks again. I appreciate it.
January 5, 2012 @03:12am
Big Bottom Willie

I really only use the factory presets, and only a few of those; but I believe you can program your own for quick retrieval while playing live.
As I said, I am really under-utilizing the pedal. It also came with CuBase recording software I have yet to use.
My two guitarists both use incarnations of this same style Zoom pedal (G2 and G9.2tt, I think), so I feel safe recommending it. I think the company has come a long way from the cheapie plastic stuff they used to produce.
Good luck!
January 5, 2012 @07:33pm
Last Call

I really only use the factory presets, and only a few of those;.......

If I get one I'll probably use it about the same as you. Basically I would use 3 sounds, country, southern rock and mowtown. I also like to use a little chorus on a slow ballad.
I would really hate to spend alot of money just for that, but I don't want to buy cheap and end up with poor quality.
So I guess I'm looking for a good quality pedal that doens't necessarily have all the bells and whistles.
January 5, 2012 @11:01pm
Big Bottom Willie

For what you're doing you may want to check out the more basic B2 - same effects platform (I believe), but without the expression pedal and USB/XLR connectivity, all for about 100 bucks here at Sweetwater. You'd pay that for a decent chorus pedal. Check it out on the Zoom website and read some reviews. I can vouch for the build quality and durability factor of the metal case.
Seriously I'm no Zoom fanatic, but I think for what you need, this fits the bill pretty well, especially for the price.
If you end up getting one, let me know what you think. I'm always interested in other people's opinions of gear.
January 6, 2012 @02:27pm
Last Call

I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward the Zoom B2. I'll let you know what I do.
Thanks for your help.
January 8, 2012 @06:48pm
Last Call

I bought the Zoom B2 and received it yesterday. I finally got to mess with it for about an hour tonight. So far I'm satisfied. I've found some really nice sounds :) and some not so nice :p. I believe it's going to work well for what I need.
I've just been going through it checking out the different effects. I have found some that I like, so I started taking notes. I'll learn how to tweak the ones I like then store them for easy access. As I posted before, I only need about 3 or 4 different sounds.
I guess the real test will come after I get it set up and then play live.
Thanks for your help Big Bottom Willie.
January 20, 2012 @03:25am
Big Bottom Willie

I hope it's working out for you. I am currently considering assembling a larger pedal board incorporating my Zoom B2.1u, as well as a few other smaller pedals (compressor, EQ, BassDriver, etc), with an A/B box; so I'll have everything I could possibly need on one board...
March 15, 2012 @02:50pm
Last Call

I hope it's working out for you. I am currently considering assembling a larger pedal board incorporating my Zoom B2.1u, as well as a few other smaller pedals (compressor, EQ, BassDriver, etc), with an A/B box; so I'll have everything I could possibly need on one board...

After using the B2 for awhile, I've been thinking about a large pedal board. Nothing really wrong with the B2, just doesn't seem to be what I'm needing.
One thing, the pre-sets are way over done for my taste. If I find one close they're using several effects and it's hard to adjust each one to the point where I find what I'm looking for. At least it is for me.
I'll adjust one effect, then move on to the next and by the time I'm through I still don't have what I'm looking for. A good chorus sound is one example. I will turn down the chorus effect and find there's a ton of reverb, turn that down and and the chorus up a little and the sound goes away on me. I have found a decent "main" sound and I've been using my Tech 21 chorus pedal.
So I'm hooking up the B2 - Tech 21 chorus - SansAmp. I think I would rather have everything wraped up in one board. I hate spending $3-$4-$500 on a board for what little effects I need, but that may be the only way to have a simple, easy set up on stage that gets me the 4 or 5 quality sounds I want.
Oh yeah, I know the B2 has a SansAmp model, but it's not nearly as good a the real thing.
April 17, 2012 @01:58am
Big Bottom Willie

Sounds like we have similar ideas about sound. I do like my Zoom for several sounds, and it does them well; but lately I've found that less is more, and have been getting great tone using only my Boss LMB-3 into my amp (and XLR-out from the amp to the board). But as my tastes are constantly changing, I still want to assemble a powered board to consolidate everything so I can change things as I go, if the mood strikes me. Please let me know if/when you choose a pedalboard, and how you like it.
Interesting also that you chose a Tech21 chorus (I'm assuming the Bass Boost model?); I've been considering that pedal myself. How do you like it? I've read some good reviews but you never know whom to trust.
April 30, 2012 @09:01pm
Last Call

Big Bottom Willie
I read your post for the first time a few weeks ago. I apologize for just now getting around to answer it.
I was still tryin' to adapt to the Zoom so I didn't really have any info for you at that time. Here is what I have since learned.
The Zoom does have some good sounds and I was able to use some of them, but I found I was using it less than I thought I would. I was also switching sound during a couple of songs and that was a little tough to do with the Zoom. That was the main reason why I was considering a pedal board. Boss had a couple I was interested in, but they're expensive compared to the Zoom, $300+ - $400+.
Another thing I noticed, if I wanted a James Jamerson sound I used the the pre-set one and fine tuned it the best I could. I never found the exact sound I wanted. Finally that dim light bulb brightened up a little. Jamerson played a passive P-bass and I play an active Jazz. Makes it kind of hard to get that classic P-bass sound.
So considering everything I went back to using my SansAmp DI and my Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus. I was still using the chorus pedal anyway since I couldn't dial in on the Zoom what I believe was as good of a chorus sound.
I usually set my sound clear, punchy with plenty of bottom, but I can get a good growl out of my bass by turning one knob halfway without effecting my volume. So I'm basically working 3 sounds, 2 with my bass and 1 with the chorus pedal. At least for now I'm satisfied with that.
The Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus pedal is great. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I love the sound I get out of this pedal and you can easily dial it in according to the venue your playing, small club, large club, outdoors, etc....
I've tried a few other bass chorus pedals, but nothing has come close to this one. If your able to, you should give one a try. I think you'll like it.
Best of luck to you.
May 26, 2012 @04:12am