0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Epi, Les Paul, G-string out of tune

tak123kib

I have an epi, LP custom. When I play the d-cord, the a-note on the g-string is always high in pitch.
the intonation of the g-string is right on. using the tunner and fretting the g-string on the 12th fret, it is right on.
I can only get the string to sound true if I barely touch it right on top of the 2nd fret. I am wondering if the string is too high at the nut, thus when I push the string down onto the fret I am starting to bend the string more than I would have to if the string was closer to the 1st and 2nd fret or board. 4th fith etc, every thing sounds ok!
let Me know what Ya think, thanks thad
December 14, 2011 @10:39pm
R Whittington

Hello tak123kib,
If the action is unusually high the string will sharpen when fretting. This would more than likely be happening on all the strings though. If you have a fret that's too high...this can cause that problem too (when there's more room between your fingertip and the fretboard you tend to push down harder). It sounds like your guitar may benefit from a fret dressing/leveling job from an experienced tech.
December 14, 2011 @10:46pm
tak123kib

I had sent My Martin back to the factory for repair on a crack form the sound hole to the lower part of bridge. They kindly removed the original nut, probably made of herring bone or tusk, and replaced it with a plastic nut. son of a gun!!! well, when I got it back, the high- e or first string had a buzz to it when played open!. I took some epoxy and built the nut up, and then gently filed the groove for the e-string down to were I thought it to be good, and the problem fixed. that has been fifteen years ago or so now. I should have sent it back and had them do it right . they replaced the first five frets at that time also.
With Me it has always been a money issue. Just do not have the money to have some one else do it. The neck of the martin, You can see were they almost damaged the neck Ir reputably, by prying the nut out. I would think they would grind the nut out to be less evasive to the neck. never the less, it still is the best sounding Guitar I have.
With The Epi, I really feel that it is an issue, some what similar to the martin, except rather than being too close to the fret board at the nut, the nut needs to have the groove cut deeper to let the string closer to the fret board. as You go up the neck, the notes are much more true, and right on at the 12 fret! I have a metal rule that I use and the frets are flat and in the same plane, the worst place on the neck is were around the 12 fret, were the neck meets the body. guess I should use a feelers gauge on it to see were it is compared to the other strings?
December 15, 2011 @03:57pm
bmorehouse

I have an Epi Traditional Pro Les Paul with exactly the same problem. The G-string goes sharp when fingering an "A" or "D" chord. If I press very lightly on the string the intonation is correct, but if I press harder the note goes sharp. I have noticed the frets are quite "tall" on this guitar, so when pressing the string "normally", there is a lot of travel before it touches the fret board which causes the string to stretch and go sharp. My solution has been to use a wound G-string. The string is thicker which reduces the amount of distance the string travels before touching the fret board. It is also slightly heavier, so it appears to stretch less than a plain wire string when pressed. I found this to greatly improve the intonation of notes on the G-string. D'addario exl110w strings have a wound G-string if you are interested in giving this a try. Good Luck!
I have an epi, LP custom. When I play the d-cord, the a-note on the g-string is always high in pitch.
the intonation of the g-string is right on. using the tunner and fretting the g-string on the 12th fret, it is right on.
I can only get the string to sound true if I barely touch it right on top of the 2nd fret. I am wondering if the string is too high at the nut, thus when I push the string down onto the fret I am starting to bend the string more than I would have to if the string was closer to the 1st and 2nd fret or board. 4th fith etc, every thing sounds ok!
let Me know what Ya think, thanks thad
July 3, 2013 @06:37pm