0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best versatile electric on a budget of under $700

THB1284

Looking for opinions on these guitars or other you might recommend. I play a little bit of everything, foo fighters to Dave Matthews to Metallica so I need something to accommodate the crisper tones as well as distortion. Prices are approximate:
-PRS SE Singlecut $625
-Epiphone SG G-400 Custom $450
-Gibson SG special $700 (is the lowest level Gibson really worth more money than the best of epiphones?)
-Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye Les Paul $750 (can this guitar even accommodate something not so heavy?)
-Fender (Mexican) Strat $500
-PRS SE Santana $700
Thanks for any assistance! I've heard good things about Parkers and Schecters as well, but know nothing about them personally. Enlighten me if they're worth it.
Cheers,
THB
December 4, 2011 @11:21pm
Big Bottom Willie

I think, of those choices, you will find the PRS's to be the highest quality instruments (yes, even the SE's). That being said I don't know much about the versatility of those two guitars - I have an older CE-24 with a five-way rotary switch and can get just about any sound I want with it.
Hope this helps!
December 5, 2011 @05:27pm