0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 2 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Keyboard Advice

coastmusicusa

I need a solid sounding keyboard to use as a side keyboard to play solo instruments with the right hand while playing the piano with the left. I want to bring in the sound of a solo instrument for a refrain, etc. Someone suggested a Roland Juno Gi. Does Korg made something comparable?
I need advice of you all.
Thanks!
December 4, 2011 @01:05am
Synthologist

Some questions:
What is your budget?
What type of music do you play?
Will this keyboard be for live or home use?

:)
December 4, 2011 @08:35pm
coastmusicusa

Up to 1200, I play out of the home and I do pop, light rock, Christian, cocktail and dinner.
Thanks
December 4, 2011 @08:49pm
Synthologist

Do you need 88-keys or will 61 (5 octaves) be enough?
I'd recommend either the Korg M50 or the new Yamaha MOX. The 61-key versions of either are within your budget. Most music stores offer great discounts and sales this time of year so shop around.
By the way, since I've heard stories of screen issues with the Roland G series synths, I don't recommend them.
December 5, 2011 @03:13am
coastmusicusa

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!
December 5, 2011 @10:54am
Synthologist

I've played in several bands and worship teams during the last few years and used a Korg Triton and more recently a Korg M3.
The M50 has most of the samples from the M3, but it lacks KARMA, sampling, and the X-Y features of the touch screen. The best thing would be to visit a local pro music store and try it out along with the MOX.
I definitely recommend buying from Sweetwater once you make a decision... I've been a customer for over 7 years and find their service, prices, and support after the sale to be excellent.
December 5, 2011 @05:47pm