0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Acoustic Bass????

Last Call

I've been thinking about purchasing an acoustic bass and I'm not sure which ones are considered best. I'm looking at spending somewhere between $200-$500. A 5 string would be nice, but a 4 string will do just fine.
I'm not opposed to buying used, just not sure what brands have the best rep.
I've always played Fender, so how about the Kingman or maybe the T Bucket? Anyone have any experience with these?
I don't really care about which brand so I will appreciate any and all suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Just thought to add that I will be using the bass for practice and maybe an afternoon jam with friends. It's possible that I may take it out on some gigs.
November 18, 2011 @04:38am
Last Call

I ended up buying a Michael Kelly Firefly 5 String. It's a demo model that I found on ebay for $385 including shipping. Retails at $765. MSRP $???? I received the bass today and it is beyond what I was hoping for.
Beautiful bass guitar. Excellent condition. I can't find anything wrong with it.
Great action. Very easy to play. Great unplugged tone and volume is good. Plugged in, well it's fantastic. I couldn't be more satisfied.
Here's a few pictures.

In case you're wondering, in my rack I have a Sennheiser wireless, Furman power conditioner, Korg tuner, dbx 160XT compressor/limiter, Hartke HA5500. I'm also using a Sansamp bass DI and a Tech 21 Bass Chorus. I can't help myself. I just love a little dab of chorus on a slow ballad.
I usually run out of the Hartke (low Z) to the board. That way my effects are in the mains. Once sound is set, I don't touch anything.
I use the Hartke Hydrive 4x10's, but I also have an 18 and 2x10's cabinet I can use if need be. Either with the 4x10's or without.
I have a '92 Fender MIA 5 string with active electronics as my main bass and a '77 P Bass that I use occasionally, just for the fun of it. I bought both of those new.
I can dial in about any sound I want, but I mainly like a clean, clear, punchy sound with plenty of bottom. I have no problem getting that with this set up.
December 2, 2011 @03:05am
sandieg

it looks amazing, i wish if i can one soon
qwop android hacked qwop ninja hattori free online games
December 10, 2013 @05:52am
TimmyP1955

If one can't find a used bargain, the Laguna acoustic basses are pretty nice for the money.
August 4, 2015 @06:18am