rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Absolute beginner looking for a Mac midi controller

Carol909

I have a Mac Mini running OS 10.4.11 -- can't afford to update it anytime soon, and can't really afford a midi controller either, but I'm desperate to get these songs in my head recorded before I forget any more of them.
Although I've toyed with GarageBand, I just can't enjoy it without a recognizable piano keyboard to work with -- so I've been studying controllers a little. I've reluctantly accepted that I can't afford anything with keys that feel like a real piano, so I know whatever I get will not be a pleasure to play, but merely an input device via which to record in GarageBand. But even that looks fairly hard to come by for the pittance I can pay.
I've been looking at the Akai Pro PLK 25 and the Alesis Q25, both under $100, which is all the cash I can come up with. Any opinions on those? Is there anything else in that price range I should know about? And how fragile are these devices -- would it be foolish to consider buying something used? I'd surely love some guidance from players with expertise in this area. Many thanks for your time!
November 16, 2011 @08:24am
TheKeytarist

Look on eBay for some m audio controllers. Maybe not the best, but they work.
November 24, 2011 @07:42pm