We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Turn my YPG625 Digital Keyboard into a MIDI Controller ?

keithos28

My Yamaha Digital Keyboard has a 1/4 inch output for the headphones.
Can I not use an audio interface [ like a Behringer UCA22] to connect the keyboard to my laptop; therefore using my keyboard features as a MIDI controller ?
November 3, 2011 @08:02pm
Andrew_Malloy

Right. Your best bet is to get a simple MIDI controller or check to see if your Keyboard has a MIDI out.
Think of MIDI as the language your Remote control speaks to the TV.
November 3, 2011 @08:05pm
keithos28

Right. Your best bet is to get a simple MIDI controller or check to see if your Keyboard has a MIDI out.
Think of MIDI as the language your Remote control speaks to the TV.

The MIDI Controller is a keyboard [with less than the same features as my Yamaha Digital Piano YPG625].
The YPG625 does not have a MIDI out !
How can I justify the cost of purchasing a MIDI controller when I already own a keyboard?
It doesn't make sense !
If I wanted my guitar to be recognized by my laptop I would use an audio interface, correct?
I mean I wouln't rush out and buy a MIDI 'guitar' controller.
I just have to find an audio interface that will help my laptop recognize the sounds from my keyboard.
Is there anyone out there that agrees with this concept?
November 7, 2011 @01:20am
TimOBrien

midi is 1s and 0s, audio is waveforms.
If your keyboard does not have a midi port, get over it--- you either have to get a new keyboard that >does< have a midi port or another midi controller.
You can't magically get midi data from an audio port.
November 7, 2011 @09:27pm
Andrew_Malloy

November 7, 2011 @09:28pm
locoloco113

They sell 1/4 inch to usb cables. Itll plug into your keyboard's exit jack, and convert it to digital media that can be picked up through a usb port. If that doesnt work directly, then use a preamp and get a regular 1/4 cable and a usb one. Run the reg from uour exit jack, to the input of the preamp. Then run the usb from the preamp to uour computer. Fl studio picks up usb interfaces, so other recording programs should as well. Hope this helps
August 21, 2014 @03:18am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!