0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

IEM Question

Poundtownproduciton

I am now using Shure P2R215CL and i love them. I just sing to basically Karaoke songs so i have no band to worry about. But the problem i am having is i cant here the crowd at all. Im wanting to know what i need to do or get so i can hear outside noise. I have my mixer going in the one input and my mic going in the second input and coming out the output and into the mixer. Any help would be great.
November 1, 2011 @10:06pm
yeahforbes

Get an omnidirectional microphone (ideally 2 mics in a binaural configuration for localization, if you run your IEMs in stereo) and mix it in -- only to your ears, NOT the PA of course. You'll want to put it on stage somewhere inconspicuous, but also not terribly far from you because the audience members closest to the mic will be loudest.
November 3, 2011 @03:32am
Dave Burris

Get an omnidirectional microphone (ideally 2 mics in a binaural configuration for localization, if you run your IEMs in stereo) and mix it in -- only to your ears, NOT the PA of course. You'll want to put it on stage somewhere inconspicuous, but also not terribly far from you because the audience members closest to the mic will be loudest.

This works best if you have the luxury of mic placement that keeps the majority of the room ambient mics equidistant from the crowd to minimize the near/far affects mentioned by Forbes.
This works even better if you have individual control over your in-ear feed and the ambient feed and can adjust to taste.
November 4, 2011 @11:32pm