rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Total noob to live sound

jclarkeiv

Hello everyone, I just realized there were forums here today, usually i just look at all the awesome equipment I can't afford when I visit sweetwater... Anyways I am totally new to live sound and really need help deciding the most effective way to spend my money. I plan on playing live, possibly with a band. Currently my equipment consists of my Macbook pro with ableton live, a digidesign mbox2 Pro, an akai apc40, and a yamaha s80 synth. As playing with my gear has always been a hobby monitors and headphones have always been enough for me but now that I am looking to join a band I need a way to amplify my sound. I will also likely send vocals through my setup to add effects so ideally I am looking to amplify my synth, Macbook, and the vocalist. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and any links to information regarding live sound would also be appreciated. Thanks!
October 26, 2011 @08:17pm
yeahforbes

I would go with a small PA, such as a couple of powered speakers on stands and a compact mixer handling all your sources (computer, vocal mics, etc). 4 channels would do it, 8-16 will allow for a full band.
You will feed monitor(s) from the mixer's aux send(s), with the option of floor wedges or in-ears. Many common powered PA speakers have an angled shape to double as wedges.
October 26, 2011 @10:20pm
jclarkeiv

If I use powered speakers is their really a need for a mixer? With the Mbox I have plenty of outputs and enough inputs. also we dont have a sound guy so it would be nice to use ableton as a mixer. Then when I get more money I can get a mixer with enough channels for the whole band.
October 27, 2011 @07:15pm
TimmyP1955

Get a pair of Grado open-air headphones. You'll hear yourself with optimal fidelity, and still be able to hear everything else that's going on. The band will be able to hear your via their monitors.
October 28, 2011 @05:02am
yeahforbes

Sure, the Mbox can be your mixer if it does everything you need. Then you only need a couple of 50' TRS to male XLR cables for the powered speakers. Good speakers to check out are the QSC K, JBL EON, or Mackie SRM.
October 28, 2011 @05:39pm