0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mastering software with separate chains for each track

jimmtjava

Does anyone know of mastering software that can give me separate plugin chains for each redbook track? I currently use CD architect, and there don't seem to be any alternatives for windows or mac. Sound Forge 10 and Wavelab 7 don't seem to let me have a chain for anything but the entire master. I'd like to switch to mac too, so cross platform or mac-only is preferable.
-Jim
October 22, 2011 @02:12pm
TimOBrien

You could do it in any sequencer.
Try Reaper.
October 22, 2011 @03:34pm
mastering

Samplitude is the best for that.
November 7, 2011 @06:39pm
lbmastering

Samplitude is the best but Wavelab 7 also have the same capability, I use both.
December 30, 2012 @07:48pm
TimOBrien

Mastering is a PROCESS, not a software.
Learn the concepts and you can do it in any sequencer or audio editor.
I >highly< suggest you get Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio: The Art and Science"
It's a college course in mastering and money better spent than dubious software.
December 31, 2012 @02:33pm
ACB

I offer a quote from my friend:
*my understanding of the mastering process(and I might not have it right) is that they divide the frequency spectrum into 3 parts, and apply EQ, Compression & limiting to them seperately to get a tight crisp and even sound. my brother refers to this as "radio ready"*
Now to me, that sounds like Low, Middle and High , as far as the frequency spectrum is concerned, which would make perfect sense. Instead of a "Two Track Master", you are working on the three basic frequencies-you know like "Red , Blue , and Green!" as far as color is concerned. You can "reach" everything!
To me though, I always thought that "taking care" during the recording process would minimize the "mastering process". If your tracks were starting to sound like a million dollars, even BEFORE you got to mastering, then you were on the right path!
One time, I recorded a piano/ vocal song on my now-retired Tascam Porta 05. For some reason, I was curious about the DBX noise reduction, so, I decided to use it , as a print, instead of engaging it during post production.
I did the whole thing in one take, and when I listened to it, I got the sense that THIS track was different!
It sounded "Pro" instead of like a carefully crafted demo! Even before mixdown! I was shocked!
I added a synth ending on the third track, then mixed down with nothing but reverb.
March 13, 2013 @05:05am
ACB

DBX, if I remember correctly, was based on "compansion and expansion"- It compresses the signal when you're recording and then, expands it on playback..or something like that. It pretty much ACTS like a compressor, but in two stages.
March 13, 2013 @05:21am
ACB

Stage One=SQUISHED
Stage Two= EXPANDED
March 13, 2013 @05:23am
ACB

I'm really NOT impressed with the "Modern Way" of sound today.
For every article that is published about "keeping your mix clean", we get MORE news about studios whose mixing desk resembles a close-up look of the DEATH STAR. LOTS of CHANNELS, LOTS of EVERYTHING!!!!
March 13, 2013 @05:30am
ACB

....at the same time.....MORE of *nothing*.......
March 13, 2013 @05:31am
ACB

Mastering is a PROCESS, not a software.
Learn the concepts and you can do it in any sequencer or audio editor.
I >highly< suggest you get Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio: The Art and Science"
It's a college course in mastering and money better spent than dubious software.

How about my Alesis MMT-8?
You did say ANY "sequencer".....right?
Software OR Hardware IS needed to master, so, I think you just "dethroned" yourself....
March 13, 2013 @05:38am
JoeS

Does anyone know of mastering software that can give me separate plugin chains for each redbook track? I currently use CD architect, and there don't seem to be any alternatives for windows or mac. Sound Forge 10 and Wavelab 7 don't seem to let me have a chain for anything but the entire master. I'd like to switch to mac too, so cross platform or mac-only is preferable.
-Jim

Mac centric - Toast - though controling parameters (in v10 anyway) is via mouse only as it does not support MMC - so using hardware controllers on on the plug-in parameters is a no go...
Sounds real good though when all said and done.
April 13, 2013 @04:47pm