0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Phantom power-capable microphone pre-amp suggestion?

mattskiii

Hey all - I just purchased a Blue Yeti Pro USB microphone to connect to my computer. I am running Adobe Audition and primarily want to use this set-up for some voiceover work. I would like to add a pre-amp to this small set-up to add some warmth and gain to my recordings. According to Blue Microphones, you can add a "phantom power-capable microphone pre-amp" to the Yeti Pro. Any idea of where I could find this type of preamp? And any suggestions of these types of preamps that are available? Thanks so much! -mattskiii
October 20, 2011 @01:29pm
Ted

If you use a preamp with the Yeti Pro then you won't be using its USB connector, so you'll need an audio interface of some sort. There are a huge variety of those available. Some of them have preamps built into them, but if you're looking to add warmth you may want to consider a tube preamp of some sort. There are a few, like ART's Tube MP Project series preamp, that combine a tube preamp and interface into one.
October 20, 2011 @01:40pm
mattskiii

Thanks Ted! So how would I connect my Yeti Pro to my computer if I can't use the USB connection? The mic came with a USB connection and a stereo XLR breakout cable. So would I connect the mic to the ART Tube MP Project via the XLR breakout cable, and then connect the ART Tube MP Project to the computer via a USB cable? Sorry for the questions - I am a noob when it comes to all of this.... Thanks! :)
October 20, 2011 @02:18pm
Ted

No problem on the questions, that's why we're here...and yes, that's exactly how you'd do it.
October 20, 2011 @02:22pm
mattskiii

Thanks Ted! You are the best! Will put my order in for the ART Tube MP Project asap! Best, -mattskiii
October 20, 2011 @09:08pm
mbrowning

I do a school newscast and just purchased a yeti blue pro. I have a cheap radio shack 4 channel mixer. I need a phantom power pre amp I guess. Any requirements? Any suggestions on cheap ones? Any other things I need to know about purchasing this thing?
April 5, 2012 @01:53pm