0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Recording via optical in on macbook pro

classicalvoice

I have been using a Lexicon I-Onix U22 as my mic-pre and recording directly to my macbook via the USB port. I recently upgraded to an Audient Mico which has surprisingly good mic-pres and lots of digital output options. I've tried using the TOSLINK optical out and feeding it directly into my Macbook pro's optical input and recording with Wavelab 7 Essentials. After fixing some buffer issues, I'm still getting intermittent noise while I record. Never happens with the Lexicon, and when I monitor the Mico straight into a DA converter (bypassing the macbook), it's clean. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
October 15, 2011 @09:38pm
Andrew_Malloy

You may have some clocking errors between the Mico and the Mac due to your optical cable. If it cracked on the inside, the diffraction could cause timing errors. Other than that, I got nothin'.
October 17, 2011 @01:20pm
classicalvoice

Posting purely for archival purposes: I tried the exact same setup but instead of using Wavelab or Cubase, I used Adobe Audition and it worked fine. So, there's something with CoreAudio that isn't playing well with Steinberg products. I can't seem to figure it out, but at least I've narrowed down the problem.
Thanks!
October 21, 2011 @04:57pm