0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Will using an HD monitor steal resources?

BfB

Hi All,
I'm running a Windows 7 Professional-based DAW with Pro Tools M-Powered v8.0.5. I'm using a Samsung HD-capable TV as a monitor. To make a long story short, I'm currently using a VGA cable to connect the PC to the monitor. This gives me a slightly smaller maximum resolution (1280 x 720) than if I were using a DVI -> HDMI cable (1360 x 768). The TV indicates that 1360 x 768 is recommended, but I can't set it unless I change cables.
Here are my questions:
1. If I switch to the DVI -> HDMI configuration, will the monitor require more system resources?
2. Is it possible to use a DVI -> HDMI configuration without using HD, and if so, would the resource usage be the same as with the VGA cable?
If I could go HD without using additional resources, that would be the best option. If not, but I could get the optimum resolution without using HD, that would be preferable to what I have now.
I'll be happy to provide any additional system info necessary to answer my questions. :D
Thanks,
Sam
October 10, 2011 @11:20pm
TimOBrien

Does your computer use a video card?
If so, everything is handled in the card and should not affect your performance.
If you're running on integrated (motherboard) video, it might.
Personally with the resources computers have these days, it's likely not to matter.
There are far more other things to worry about.
October 11, 2011 @01:39pm
BfB

That's good news, Tim. I do have a video card, so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the info. :D
There are far more other things to worry about.

Oh, you typed a mouthful. ;)
Sam
October 13, 2011 @05:22am