0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

1st electric, which amp best?

kingfool1

I'm a new guitar player, I've been playing an acoustic but it's only a beginner quality guitar and I decided I wanted/needed something better. I decided to get an Epiphone Emperor Swingster hollowbody, because I felt comfortable with the neck and liked the tone and posibilities that seemed possible with this guitar. Now I need an amp, I would like to know what others would suggest. I know I'll have to try them out, I'm thinking low wattage, good clean tone, good solid bass. Blues, Rockabilly, Country styles, I'm worried I'll just get excited in the store and not be happy later.
October 4, 2011 @12:16am
GM Reszel

There's so many little practice amps these days that are a great bang for buck.
The Frontman is one I really like, plenty of power, decent features (like mp3 hookup), both dirt and cleans are excellent and there's no tubes to fuss about. A respected and proven amp (read the reviews):
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Frontman25R/
Want something a little further plus a jamming companion try the G-dec 15 (or 30 if you want more watts). Tons of tones, effects, USB hookup so you can download jam tracks and lots of great features. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GDEC3-15/
It's 3 times as much as your 100$ frontman but I just wanted to give you options.
Like I said, there's a lot and I'm sure others will chime in. BTW, Don't let anyone tell you it HAS to have tubes because it just ain't true.
October 4, 2011 @07:40pm
Big Bottom Willie

For the money I don't think you can beat the Vox Valvetronix series for a first amp. Various amp models for different styles of music, onboard effects, and they do the tube sound as good or better than any other modeling amp regardless of price, in my humble opinion. The different amp models may even give you a better idea which amp suits your style if you decide to invest in something better later on.
I love my old AD15VT!
(I am not a Vox rep, BTW...) :)
October 4, 2011 @08:56pm
mendyka

Fender Mustang is one of the greatest amps ever. Not only does it have legendary Fender sound, but it will model the tone of almost any legendary amp ever made. You can also download preset tones from the Fender website and upload any you create yourself.
December 17, 2011 @03:52pm
kingfool1

I decided to go with the Peavey Delta Blues 115,30w tube amp, with a 15" speaker, it had a real spring reverb and a tremolo function, clean and overdrive channels. From what I gather from talking to people with the modelling amps is they use 1 or 2 of the models mostly and leave the others alone. So I figured that I would find 1 amp that had a tone and enough adjustments that will keep me occupied and exploring it's sound for awhile. I've heard good things about the Peavey reliability/durability, and it's made in the US (Mississippi), and compared to other amps with similar features it was a great price. The whole tube vibration, spring vibration, hollowbody guitar, and huge 15 inch speaker just seemed too groovy.
January 26, 2012 @05:05am