0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

On Stage Monitor mixing

rickkyb

I am new to live sound mixing and now I need help here is what I have
5 piece band everyone sings we need to have an individual monitor mix for each player. equipment is Yamaha MG166cx mixer Yamaha Power amp for FOH (2 15's with horns) and 2 powered subs there is plenty of power to everything. My biggest problem is not having enough sends to create seperate mix's but I do have groups on the board, that I have no clue on how to use Question is there a book that anyone can recommend that will teach and show how to hook this equipment up and show uses for the groups ?
at this point I use aux 1 for monitors aux 2 for the powered subs and aux 3 (effects)
unfortunately the manuals are terrible and I'm suffering from info overload from the net .
thanks for reading this
Rich
September 25, 2011 @12:10am
TimmyP1955

The feed from any channel to a group is post fade - not good for monitors. You need a mixer with 5 pre-fade auxes. Or just scale back your expectations (bands used to play with no monitors at all, then one monitor, then one mix on multiple monitors).
September 25, 2011 @09:28am
rickkyb

Thanks Tim thats kinda the answer I expected and If I can ask if the groups are post fade what is the best application for groups ?
Rich
September 25, 2011 @11:31pm
yeahforbes

Not only are groups post-fader, but only-fader. You have no opportunity to send different levels to the groups and main mix.
You can, for example, take all your drum channels and unassign them from the main mix, assign them to a group, and assign the group to the main mix. You now have the ability to change the level of the drums on a pair of faders instead of [however many drums mics you use]. And then you can "bus compress" your drums with 2 compressor channels instead of [however many...]. And then you can re-assign the original channels back to the main mix (along with the group) and achieve "parallel compression" and all kinds of crazy things.
Another use would be to leave the group unassigned from the main mix, and use it for an alternate feed. For example, a recording device on which you will want the same blend of channels but perhaps excluding or adding things relative to the main mix. Like room mics that are necessary for the recording but have no reason to go to the speakers.
September 26, 2011 @02:57pm
rickkyb

Lots to learn and thanks for the info I did pick up a book hopefully it will help as well Live Sound Reinforcement by Scott Hunter Stark
Rich
September 28, 2011 @10:23pm
TimmyP1955

You don't have to use two groups for drums, etc. Just assign the channels to the group pair, then pan them out of the group you don't need them in. Drums, Vocals, Keys, Horns are common uses for the four groups.
September 30, 2011 @03:36am