0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Nashville Tuning

Bluesman48

I want to string up one of my acoustics in "Nashville tuning". I know it invovles replacing the E, A, and D strings with a lighter gauge strings. My question is what gauges would one use ? Any advice greatly appreciated. :)
August 27, 2011 @09:57pm
rajohnson78

If you're making a transition from "normal" acoustic gauge to Nashville tuning, you can try:
.012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030
This is replacing the E, A, D, and G strings. Keep in mind though, you might have trouble staying in tune if you don't get the nut and truss rod adjusted for the different string gauges and tension. If your local guitar shop has a tech, ask if he/she can take care of it for you- you'll enjoy playing the "new" guitar more if you do so.
August 28, 2011 @08:41pm
Bluesman48

If you're making a transition from "normal" acoustic gauge to Nashville tuning, you can try:
.012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030
This is replacing the E, A, D, and G strings. Keep in mind though, you might have trouble staying in tune if you don't get the nut and truss rod adjusted for the different string gauges and tension. If your local guitar shop has a tech, ask if he/she can take care of it for you- you'll enjoy playing the "new" guitar more if you do so.

Thanks for the info. My "local" guitar tech/repair person is some distance away :(. What I may try is putting the strings on and let them "stretch" a little before I try to record. I can always capo but I thought this might give me a little different sound.:)
August 29, 2011 @09:28pm