0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Marshall jmd:1 vs jvm 410 *opinions needed*

cadencerocks@charter.net

I'm looking to buy a new marshall. I'm definately looking for tube and as many channels as possible since I play in a cover group spanning many different styles. Here are the pros and cons of the two amps I have it narrowed down to and please add your own.
JMD1
Pros: Has state of the art modeling for previous marshall amps.
Has effects so no need to string along or buy extra stompboxes.
Less confusing and time consuming dashboard so you don't fiddle for hours.
Cons:Is a hybrid not all-valve. They say it is the best hybrid and the sound is the same as tube but I haven't played it and need advice from someone who has.
JVM 410
Pros: All valve, simply a great tube marshall.
More knobs can also let you fine tune your sound if presets dont satisfy.
Cons: No effects so extra pedals are needed.
No modeling so needs more tweeking.
I need advice from experienced gigging guitarists and people who know their gear. I know alot of tube-purists will immediately go for the JVM, but I'd like to also hear from someone who has tried the JMD out and has an opinion compared to all-valve.
Thanks
July 25, 2011 @02:02pm
nick13

hey bro..well i've played both, and in my opinion the JVM was waaaaay better. much more organic and natural sounding then the JMD. but its your own opinion i guess..if you can try before you buy. just a suggestion but check out the Bogner Alchemist..pretty sweet sound and for a bit less then the jvm. hope that helped.
ROCK ON! \M/
July 26, 2011 @05:05am
cadencerocks@charter.net

hey bro..well i've played both, and in my opinion the JVM was waaaaay better. much more organic and natural sounding then the JMD. but its your own opinion i guess..if you can try before you buy. just a suggestion but check out the Bogner Alchemist..pretty sweet sound and for a bit less then the jvm. hope that helped.
ROCK ON! \M/

Thanks, the alchemist doesnt seem to have enough independant channeling at your feet for me, but would you vouch for its sound? I play blues all the way to hard rock and need a very natural smooth but full and clear sound.
July 26, 2011 @02:45pm
nick13

Thanks, the alchemist doesnt seem to have enough independant channeling at your feet for me, but would you vouch for its sound? I play blues all the way to hard rock and need a very natural smooth but full and clear sound.

ya man you can get some pretty killer tones with the Bogner after a little knob tweaking. mine sounded like **** out of the box and I almost regretted buying it..but after about two hours of playing around with the settings it sounded sick! again thats just my opinion though..you'd have to try them out before if you can and see what you think. But if you still have your mind set on the Marshall definitely go with the JVM.
July 27, 2011 @02:36am