rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

The Yamaha Motif MOX Grand Piano looses integrity after a while

gfclef

The Yamaha Motif series are great pianos. I have had the Yamaha XS8, but found it too heavy to take anywhere. The Yamaha MOX boasted of having the same engine and sounds of the XS8 and it is pretty good, but after playing it for a while the Piano sound doesn't sound as good as it started. I suspect it is because of the Polyphony. There is 64 note polyphony as compared to 128 note polyphony in the Motif XS. Hopefully the polyphony of the MOX will be increased with the next version!
gfclef
July 24, 2011 @05:57am
pdionne

I'm real interested in the MOX8. Its too bad they couldn't have been a little more generous with the polyphany though. I'd pay for an upgrade if it was possible - but not expecting this option to materialize in this model -ever. However, the MOX has a fantastic form factor that cannot be denied - its light - and i'm gigging alot and getting pretty tired on lugging my S90 around. The S90 only has 64 note polyphany - and I manage to get by for live band use - I only seem to notice its limitations in solo or studio use. If Yamaha could cram the electronics of the S90SX into the MOX chasis I would be all over it - and even be willing to pay more for it than the current S90XS retails for. Unfortunately, i'm hesitant at this point. The MO series was never meant to be an upgrade to the S series - so I'll be giving up a few things like after touch, balanced keys, deeper sound editing in return for light weight and updated sounds. I might do it anyway - kinda waiting to see what the Kurz has up its sleeve before I leap.
August 5, 2011 @03:18am
elwoodblues1969

The Yamaha Motif series are great pianos. I have had the Yamaha XS8, but found it too heavy to take anywhere. The Yamaha MOX boasted of having the same engine and sounds of the XS8 and it is pretty good, but after playing it for a while the Piano sound doesn't sound as good as it started. I suspect it is because of the Polyphony. There is 64 note polyphony as compared to 128 note polyphony in the Motif XS. Hopefully the polyphony of the MOX will be increased with the next version!
gfclef

64 note polyphony is enough to run a 16 track sequencer(if used wisely),but 64 notes isn't good enough to support a single sound program??
What....you think that somehow that a high quality multi-sampled program has 128 sample layers?
The MOX has the SAME engine and ALL of the factory ROM of the XS series and the reduced polyphony is only going to limit what you can do in the with sequencing and multi-layering of programs.
All this being said,the "compromised: quality of the piano sound is just a figment of your imagination.
If by some chance,Yamaha does make a drastic upgrade in the MO-series(such as making something like 80 note polyphony,it's going to cost more than you'll probably want to pay for.
If you ask me,the MOX series is the most incredible upgrade ever created in a budget line of workstation keyboards,so there's really no point in nit-picking over what you didn't get,because it's not a flagship line of keyboards.
Some corners ALWAYS have to be cut,in order to deliver a decent workstation at a budget price and Yamaha has made sound quality their top priority in the MOX series and people still find reasons to complain... unbelievable.
September 1, 2011 @01:19am
elwoodblues1969

I'm real interested in the MOX8. Its too bad they couldn't have been a little more generous with the polyphany though. I'd pay for an upgrade if it was possible - but not expecting this option to materialize in this model -ever. However, the MOX has a fantastic form factor that cannot be denied - its light - and i'm gigging alot and getting pretty tired on lugging my S90 around. The S90 only has 64 note polyphany - and I manage to get by for live band use - I only seem to notice its limitations in solo or studio use. If Yamaha could cram the electronics of the S90SX into the MOX chasis I would be all over it - and even be willing to pay more for it than the current S90XS retails for. Unfortunately, i'm hesitant at this point. The MO series was never meant to be an upgrade to the S series - so I'll be giving up a few things like after touch, balanced keys, deeper sound editing in return for light weight and updated sounds. I might do it anyway - kinda waiting to see what the Kurz has up its sleeve before I leap.

I really don't see where 64 polyphony in a studio,would be considered as a limitation?I mean....the MOX series comes with Cubase,so you have all sorts of methods available to you,to compensate for the reduced polyphony.
Essentially,the MOX keyboard is an all-in-one studio and I wish this board had come out before I had bought my Korg M50 and my Korg M3.
The only advantages the M50 had over the MOX,is the 80 note polyphony & the larger screen-but otherwise,the M50 is pitiful compared to the amount of ROM and overall sound quality of the MOX.
Perhaps if Yamaha had created a 73-key,semi-weighted"waterfall"-action MOX with 80 note polyphony,that would have been very interesting at the same price of the MOX8.
September 1, 2011 @01:38am
pdionne

I really don't see where 64 polyphony in a studio,would be considered as a limitation?I mean....the MOX series comes with Cubase,so you have all sorts of methods available to you,to compensate for the reduced polyphony.
Essentially,the MOX keyboard is an all-in-one studio and I wish this board had come out before I had bought my Korg M50 and my Korg M3.
The only advantages the M50 had over the MOX,is the 80 note polyphony & the larger screen-but otherwise,the M50 is pitiful compared to the amount of ROM and overall sound quality of the MOX.
Perhaps if Yamaha had created a 73-key,semi-weighted"waterfall"-action MOX with 80 note polyphony,that would have been very interesting at the same price of the MOX8.

Well, I do notice dropouts on the S90 with any program with two or more layers in any extended (manual) arppegio situation - not a serious issue for live band but noticable in solo situations.
To conclude my .02, I just took delivery of a new S70XS. In the end, I had a slight prefference for the balanced action over the MOX graded action and I ended up finding a great deal on an open box unit just a couple hundred more than the current MOX street price. Once I decided in favor of the S70XS over the MOX, the final battle was between the S70XS and the Nord Stage 2. Something about predefined split points on the Stage 2 just didn't sit well with me. Nobody's going to tell me the best point to make my split is going to be. Plus, I was already a Yamaha and Cubase user so the 2X cost of the Nord made the decision pretty easy. Granted, the Nord can load samples which would extend its useful work life, but I feel I can get by just fine with the XS sound set and some tweeking for a good long while.
September 5, 2011 @05:47pm