0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Fender Twin Reverb Substitute

MetalBrian

Hey guys,
I LOVE the clean sound of a Fender Twin Reverb (I've only played the reissues) and quite frequently think of parts I would like played/written using that amp for my recordings. I think I've reached a point where I'm just really tired of flipping through dozens of presets and amp models on my Line 6 PODX3 to try to find a tone that I can use. I find that I spend more time trying to find a suitable tone and less time actually playing and writing. I think I'm reaching a point where I would like just some good quality amps to mic for my recordings.
The only issue I really see with the Fender Twin is that it's 85 watts and I live in an apartment (Hence where the amp modeling came in). Now, I have a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100-watt head that I play often at home, but from what I've heard about the Fender Twin is that it is INCREDIBLY LOUD and I may not be able to get it past 1 on the volume control. I was just wondering if Fender made an amp that was similar to the Twin in terms of cleanliness, articulation and with that amazing Fender tone, but in a considerably quieter model. Vibrato is not important to me, but I would like the Reverb. I'm still going back and forth between a single or double 12" speaker configuration for stereo purposes. My price range is under $1000.00.
Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!
-Brian
July 19, 2011 @05:11pm
R Whittington

Try a Fender Blues Jr...without the "fat switch" engaged. It'll get you most of the way there...still extremely clean and very reminiscent of a Twin sound. It's still loud enough when cranked to be "too loud" but it will operate at a reasonable volume for you and give great results!
July 19, 2011 @05:15pm
GM Reszel

Try a Fender Blues Jr...without the "fat switch" engaged. It'll get you most of the way there...still extremely clean and very reminiscent of a Twin sound. It's still loud enough when cranked to be "too loud" but it will operate at a reasonable volume for you and give great results!

Yes - good choice.
July 20, 2011 @01:38pm
Bluesman48

I won't argue with the above suggestions, but will offer my own. Since you mentioned the Twin reissue I encourage you to try the Deluxe Reverb reissue. I own a silver face Deluxe Reverb and have recorded with it for 30 some years and IMHO you slap a '57 on the grill and hit record and you're a happy camper. Everyone has their own cup of tea when it comes to a favorite and the DR is mine. I purchased a Deluxe Reverb reissue when they first came out and when I plugged it in I was not disappointed at all. While it doesn't sound quite as good as my '71 SF, I have recorded it a bunch also. The Deluxe stays clean to a point but once you get past 5 or 6 on the dial it can get a nice bluesy drive to it. You mentioned living in an apartment, when I record, I rarely go beyond 3 on the volume knob. Hope this helps:)
July 24, 2011 @08:56pm
jilaw50

My first recommendation is to go ahead with the Twin Reverb RI (85w.) if you really like it. I think it is one of the best sounding Fender amps available. My only problem with it is how HEAVY it is, for gigging, but for home use, not an issue. The volume knob does work.
IMHO forget the Blues Jr.(15w.) It is an over rated waste of time. Most people are on an endless search of mods and speakers trying to make it something it's not....a good amp. Not usable for gigs unless you like crap muddy tone.
One good alternative is the Fender Blues Deluxe (40w.). I use one as my main gigging amp and it sounds great. I also love my Peavey Delta Blues (30w.) 1x15".
For a cheap practice/backup/modeling solid state amp try a Roland Cube 60 (now replaced by an 80).
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
’04 Fender Custom Shop ’56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold
'10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat
'07 Fender Custom Shop Vintage Heavy Relic HB Telecaster
'03 Gibson ES-345 RI
’08 Gibson Les Paul R-7 Historic Series 1957 RI VOS Gold Top
Schecter California Custom Hellcat
’10 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Stratocaster (Fender CS ’69 /Candy Apple Red)
’10 Squier Telecaster w/Bigsby (Fender CS Texas Specials/Candy Apple Red)
’09 Squier Stratocaster HSS Standard (Pearly Gates HB/SSL-1/SSL-1/Silver Sparkle)
’02 Squier Bullet HHH (S. Duncan: Little ‘59/Duckbucker/JB Jr. /LockingTuners)
’10 Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH (Fiesta Red)
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic
Yamaha S90XS Keyboard
Amps: Bogner Shiva EL34 w/Rvb + Peavey VK 412; Fender Blues Deluxe; Peavey Delta Blues 115; Roland Cube-60; Roland KC-150; Marshall AS-50R
August 25, 2011 @12:27pm