0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Digital Piano Effects

ipollard

Hello there.
I have an odd question that I wanted to throw out there to see if anyone can help me.
My nephew just recently joined a band as the keyboard player and he is looking to buy his first live set-up.
He has been learning on a Yamaha Digital Piano and likes the weighted keys.
Although this digital piano works for the songs they play it would be more effective if he had some synth effects to make the sound better.
Is there a synthesizer and/or workstation that has weighted keys? (Preferably inexpensive)
Is there a way to add synth effects to the Yamaha Digital Piano he has already?
Any ideas?
Any information would help.
Thanks.
Ian Pollard
July 9, 2011 @01:37pm
TheKeytarist

When you say "synth effects do you mean actual synthesizer sounds, or actual audio effects like delay(echo) or reverb?
July 9, 2011 @09:09pm
ipollard

I mean actual synthesizer sounds.. The Yamaha keyboard that he has has some limited effects like reverb but I am looking for the actually synthesizer sounds.
Any thoughts?
July 10, 2011 @02:33am
TimmyP1955

If his keyboard has a MIDI output, he could get rack mount unit such as the Motif Rack or Motif ES Rack, or even an old Korg Triton Rack.
July 10, 2011 @07:08am
Synthologist

If his keyboard has a MIDI output, he could get rack mount unit such as the Motif Rack or Motif ES Rack, or even an old Korg Triton Rack.

Not a bad idea if he prefers the keyboard he's currently using, although I gotta say that playing synth sounds with weighted keys wouldn't be my first choice.
July 10, 2011 @07:00pm
TheKeytarist

Synth sounds? I think if you want good synth sounds in a rack or desk top module, you need to be looking at a Nord rack. It has a good, extremely easy to use interface and will allow it's user to learn how to synthesize a sound. Nords also have a reputation of being built like a tank. If you mostly want presets and not as much ease of editing, an access virus Ti snow will do the job nicely. If you want more editing capabilities, the full desktop version of the access virus Ti would be good to. Just my two cents.
-TheKeytarist
July 11, 2011 @12:22am
TheKeytarist

Not a bad idea if he prefers the keyboard he's currently using, although I gotta say that playing synth sounds with weighted keys wouldn't be my first choice.

I could not agree more. If that's the case, I would recommend the Nord lead 2x or Nord lead 3(If you can find one) keyboard model.
July 11, 2011 @12:25am
ipollard

I want to thank everyone for their input. It has certainly answered many of my questions, yet provided more.
1. Do you lose any dynamics when playing regular keyboard keys rather than weighted keys (Hence the synth sounds with a keyboard that has weighted keys)?
2. If my nephew were to get a synthesizer keyboard, does anyone have any recommendations that won't break the bank?
Thanks again for your input.
Ian
July 11, 2011 @09:46pm
TheKeytarist

What is your definition of "breaking the bank"?
July 12, 2011 @01:32pm
ipollard

Under $1000
July 12, 2011 @01:37pm
TheKeytarist

Depending on where you look (guitarcenter used, eBay, ect), you can find a Nord lead 2x(the current model) from $800-1,000. I reallize that $800 plus seems like alot to shell out for a keyboard, but if it works out and you really like it, it is worh it. Based on the build quality and what people say about nord, you will get many years of use. For example, the original Nord lead (made in 1995) is still used by many people, and they still love it(not to mention it still works after 15 years of use). So there's an example for you. If you still want more information on the Nord leads, try looking for the Nord lead reviews on harmony central and sound on sound.
-TheKeytarist
July 12, 2011 @02:02pm
TheKeytarist

By the way before you buy anything, I recommend going to the store and trying it out.
July 12, 2011 @02:12pm