0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Not enough channels on my mixer

Stephen B

It seems that I have come up short on channels on my board. I have two options that I am considering. First is to run all the drum mics (5) into a small mixer and then run the two main outs into 2 channels on my main board. The second option is to run some of the drum mics into splitter boxes ,2 into 1, and then to the main board. I'm thinking the 2 rack toms could be run together into one channel and the two floor toms could be combined. Any opinions on this would help Thanks
July 7, 2011 @11:53pm
DAS

Can you just mic the two floor toms (or the two rack toms) with one mic? That will probably work a lot better then trying to combine mic signals, and should work at least as well as adding another mixer to the signal path.
July 8, 2011 @02:59pm
timoriggs

I'm going to go with DAS on this one, I think you'll be much happier with the results if you just use less rather than combining signals.
July 13, 2011 @02:12am
clb3chey

i agree w/ das also,dont split unless its necessary i n a pinch....but if you have another small mixer--u dont need killer eq for drums,.maybe a rack mount 8 channel stereo --?--can be picked up cheap, berhinger, e-bay ect....happy mixing!!!!!
February 11, 2012 @12:55pm
Dave Burris

I'm going to go a step further and say that mic splits are not intended to be used in this way. If the only reason you're running short on channels is drum mics, just double-up as already mentioned.
February 11, 2012 @03:47pm
TimmyP1955

If you use a submixer, just feed it into one channel - there's seldom an advantage to stereo in a live mix.
February 13, 2012 @01:57am
Dave Burris

Does your main board not have any aux. inputs you can use?
February 13, 2012 @02:12pm
Stephen B

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have solved the problem by getting ego's under control. Out guitar player thought he needed 2 mics on his rig. The keyboard player thought he needed to run his keyboards in stereo so he was using 2 channels also. With some realistic thinking about where we play and who we are we got these things under control!
February 13, 2012 @09:20pm
Dave Burris

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have solved the problem by getting ego's under control. Out guitar player thought he needed 2 mics on his rig. The keyboard player thought he needed to run his keyboards in stereo so he was using 2 channels also. With some realistic thinking about where we play and who we are we got these things under control!

Both of these things are luxuries when on a limited channel count. I think you made the right choice.
February 14, 2012 @01:23am