0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Ibanez vs. Dean for Semi-Pro?

Amaranth

Hi everyone,
Heres the deal. I need some help deciding on a bass. It will be used for light giging and practicing (maybe bigger things later on) , and I'm looking for a mellow, warm sound. I leave the judging to the infinite wisdom of the forum.
Here are the two contenders:
Ibanez SR3000E Sol (4 String)
Mahogany Body
SR4 Neck
Medium Frets
Bartolini Custom Neck/Bridge pick-ups (active electronics)
Vari-Mid Hi Fi EQ
Sol finish (Natural Wood)
AND
Dean Q4 B (4 string)
Basswood Body
Walnut Neck w/ Rosewood Fingerboard
24 Medium Frets
Bartolini pickups (active electronics)
Quilted Maple Top w/ Tiger Eye finish
Both basses are about the same in price, hardware/pick-ups and mobility (weight, size) so im thinking it really comes down to woods, cosmetics and ,most importantly, reputation.
Thanks in advance!
~Amaranth~
January 18, 2003 @05:38pm
Messin_With_The _Kids

I have a Dean Edge 1 and the thing is a hoot to play, but I surely wouldn't call it mellow sounding. In fact the reason I bought it was because it sounds pretty outragous. They're nice basses considering how inexpensive they are, but they do sound pretty different.
Here's what my Edge 1 sounds like...
http://www.metalriffs.com/BishopsCrossing.mp3
January 25, 2003 @11:21pm
BassPlaya

Dude, If you havent made your choice yet go with the Ibanez. I have the 5 string version and it totally blows away the Dean your talking about. I was in a music store today and i actually played that Dean bass. Its a good bass and all, but not as good as that ibanez. But thats just my opinion. Now if we were talking about cheaper instruments, i would definantly pick a dean over an ibanez, but not in the prestige category. These basses are amazing. I wrote a review of it over at the Harmony Central site under Ibanez SR3005e Prestige. check it out. peace.
-Rob-
March 21, 2003 @08:12am
jazzbassman821

Go for the Ibanez, I have 9 basses in my collection and the only one I play at gigs is the Ibanez. Besides the Ibanez SR480, I usually bring a Rickenbacker and a Schecter 5-string. The Ibanez is lighter in weight, sounds mellow or growly, and plays like butter! I previously owned a SR1200 (nech-through), and that also played like a dream, but was a little heavier than the 480, butstill fine instruments. I work for a Dean dealer, and for the money, the Ibanez is twice the bass compared to the Dean!
May 13, 2003 @04:36am
KingOfBass

BassPlaya I saw your review about the SR3000E and tell myself maybe new Ibanez are not so bad. I own a Musician fretless from 82 and have to choose between waiting for a fretted one or buying a new model. I want to play some latin-funk grooves.
May 21, 2003 @09:20am
KingOfBass

...Amaranth is looking for a mellow warm sound, me too, will we get it with the Ibanez ?
May 21, 2003 @09:23am
getthis

ok so you are comparing a Ibanez that goes for a street price of about $950 new, to a Dean that goes for a street price of $450 new. hmmmmmm, doesn't seem like a equal comparison. how is that "about the same price"?
Originally posted by Amaranth
Hi everyone,
Heres the deal. I need some help deciding on a bass. It will be used for light giging and practicing (maybe bigger things later on) , and I'm looking for a mellow, warm sound. I leave the judging to the infinite wisdom of the forum.
Here are the two contenders:
Ibanez SR3000E Sol (4 String)
Mahogany Body
SR4 Neck
Medium Frets
Bartolini Custom Neck/Bridge pick-ups (active electronics)
Vari-Mid Hi Fi EQ
Sol finish (Natural Wood)
AND
Dean Q4 B (4 string)
Basswood Body
Walnut Neck w/ Rosewood Fingerboard
24 Medium Frets
Bartolini pickups (active electronics)
Quilted Maple Top w/ Tiger Eye finish
Both basses are about the same in price, hardware/pick-ups and mobility (weight, size) so im thinking it really comes down to woods, cosmetics and ,most importantly, reputation.
Thanks in advance!
~Amaranth~
June 1, 2003 @03:18am