0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 2

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

CPU Usage - Pro Tools LE vs Logic

museum

Hi, I got Pro Tools LE recently, running it on a Mac Book Pro with 4GB of RAM, and 500GB hard drive and a 2.66GHz Intel I7 processor. I've been getting CPU Usage overload message just from using two tracks with a couple plug-ins, no other programs running at the time. That's not going to come even close to cutting it. So I feel like I have a couple options - increase the RAM in my laptop, or, as suggested to me by a Mac guy earlier today, switch to Logic. He said I wouldn't be having this problem in Logic. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for any help.
May 27, 2011 @10:21pm
Andrew_Malloy

Before you jump to the conclusion that the problem is with Pro Tools entirely. Make sure that you are running the most current version and have also the most updated plug-ins. Secondly, your computer is plenty powerful enough to do what you are asking of it. I have done 32 track sessions with tons of plugins on a 1.66 Core(1)Duo Mac Mini with 2 GB of RAM. And, yes, the Apple guy is recommending Logic because that is what they are supposed to do.
May 31, 2011 @02:20pm
Kevin.Jackson

I would suggest that the plug ins could be the issue as could be the wrong type of external hard drive. The specs should be an external with an oxford chipset - like Glyph, etc. I have seen that error most commonly when the wrong type of external drive is being used. Also make sure you have the most recent version of Pro Tools installed....updates. In your i/o make sure you set the the playback buffer to the highest amount possible with 1 core less than what you have at around 80 - 85% cpu usage. You can also try trashing the preferences, that helps in some cases.
September 18, 2011 @05:53pm