We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help choosing a mic pre...

SoundDog

I'm looking for a mic pre with digital out under $1,000.
Right now it's between the Focusrite ISA One and the Audient Mico.
Anyone have thoughts on which one of these is better? I'm looking for a clean transparent sound without sounding flat or thin. Whatever I get I want to make sure has good A/D conversion.
Which one of these is a good option?
May 24, 2011 @05:12am
phatbeatstudio

new under a grand pobly wont happen get somthin used and get twice the gear
For the same price. If you dont have super high end stuff digital to digital sounds
bretty cheap to me in the consumer quality price rang. Id go for somethin with a tube. warm it up a bit even the most digital snobs like a little anlog tube to add some depth and warmth
May 28, 2011 @12:52am
mbvoxx

take a look at the digimax LT
September 1, 2011 @08:01pm
Gizzmo0815

Just curious why does it have to have digital out?
If you can stand to have a seperate converter (interface) then your choices open up a bit in the sub $1000 price range (Presonus Eureka, ART PRO MPA II, FMR RNP, Grace M101, ISA One Analog, Daking Mic Pre One, etc...etc...).
Of the two you mentioned the ISA ONE is a great preamp, I highly recommend it, but I've only used the analog version so I can't speak for the quality of the digital conversion. I suspect it is about the same as any of the other $300-500 interfaces out there.
- Gizz
September 7, 2011 @01:56pm
Ted

You might be surprised at the quality of the ISA One's converter...I'd definitely put it above the quality of the $300-$500 interfaces out there. It easily holds its own against standalone converters in the $800-$1500 range. When you consider that it's $400 for just two channels of A/D conversion with no chassis, power supply or connectors (all of that is in the ISA One box itself) it's not entirely surprising.
October 13, 2011 @01:39pm
androideric

the Audient Mico
October 19, 2011 @07:56am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!