0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Active Speaker Feedback

andcnuaa

Hello Everyone
I have a pair of Berhinger B212D active speakers and also a pair of QSC K10s. My QSCs produce little to no feedback whatsoever while out of the exact same system my Behingers produce a lot of mic feedback.
Here is the question.
If I were to replace the drivers to higher quality drivers would that get rid of the extream feedback or is it the amp/crossover/sound processing of the Behingers internals?
May 22, 2011 @09:13pm
TimmyP1955

Everything is interactive. Better drivers with the wrong crossover might give worse sound and more feedback problems. Don't waste money and time - sell what does not work and buy what does.
I just heard the K series a few days ago. Save for a very pronounced high mid/low treble peak, they seemed to be pretty decent.
May 23, 2011 @02:13am
andcnuaa

Thanks for some feedback about the feedback. The k series are awsom. Berhingers, not so great
May 23, 2011 @03:44am
jpleong

Berhingers, not so great

If you do a search on this forum you'll find lots of people with that sentiment, myself included.
My running rule of thumb for the past five or six years is, "Buy cheap, buy twice."
JP
May 24, 2011 @03:12pm
andcnuaa

Thanks JP
I could not agree more. However this is not really answering my question. I am using a technical question, whether makes the feedback happen from the behingers and not the QSCs?
May 24, 2011 @11:55pm
jpleong

Sorry, I thought Timmy answered that question quite well.
The problem with the Behringer units is that you can't really know what went wrong. It could be the crossover, the woofers, the tweeter, heck it could be the way they designed the waveguide for the horn... From my experience with their brand it's likely some unholy combination of the above and it's better to just dump the units while you can and spring for better active speakers like the QSC you already have or something else like a JBL Eon or Mackie SRM if you need something less expensive than the K-series.
The Behringers aren't one of those golden pieces of gear that "could be awesome" if you swapped out one part. They just suck; and I'd part ways with it as soon as you can. Sell them to some house DJ or Karaoke Bar...
JP
May 25, 2011 @02:00am
andcnuaa

Thanks JP
I wish I could sell them for anything close to what I paid for them wich was a good deal at the time. But I would be lucky to get half that on eBay. Yes, I was hoping to swap out some part on them but I guess not. I guess I will sell them at a $300.00 loss. Ouch!!
Well I guess I was also hoping to find out what makes a speaker a part of the feedback loop. I know it is an intricate part of the loop but it just doesn't make sense to me why one set feeds back and the other doesn't at the same level. Does the QSCs have some kind of filtering mechanisms that stops sounds from looping? Does the behingers produce the initial frequency that is being looped, a hum or something. I guess you are saying the entire behinger speaker is at fault or lacks something the QSC has. Do you know what/witch it is?
Thank again
May 25, 2011 @02:49am
TimmyP1955

What do they lack? Quality :-)
There's no doubt that compared to the Behringer, the QSC drivers and cabinets have fewer response peaks and resonances, and the crossovers are engineered to insure flatter frequency and phase response. Better sound, less feedback.
May 25, 2011 @05:15am
andcnuaa

Thank You
That answers my question.
May 25, 2011 @10:16am
yeahforbes

To expand on that, if you look at the frequency response chart of the speakers (or precisely measure it yourself, as published charts often have lower horizontal resolution than they should) the peaks are where you will have feedback. The flatter the response, the closer the average level is to the highest peak, resulting in a louder sound overall. It's really a combination of everything in the chain -- the system response -- but mics and speakers have the wildest frequency responses, compared with things like mixers and amps.
June 6, 2011 @12:49am
TimmyP1955

Also, most manufacturer's response graphs are 'smoothed', which hides lots of nasties. For an example of what this looks like, go to http://studiosixdigital.com/fft-demo-videos/fft_demo_part_one.html and advance to 1:30 in the video.
June 6, 2011 @07:07am