0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Kurzweil vs Yamaha?

wladymeer

I have dilemma between Kurzweil PC3 and Yamaha MoX. I believe I am quite aware of pros and cons about tech side of both synths, but as I haven't played Motif XS (which is where MoX waveform will derive from) I'm most concerned about sound quality?
So, my main question is - which one is supposed to have better sound quality?
April 13, 2011 @01:34am
Synthologist

I would assume the PC3 would have slightly better sound quality compared to the MOx series. A better comparison for overall quality would be PC3 vs. Motif XS or XF.
Still, the new MOx series is much lighter and offers a lot of bang for the buck. Unfortunately, both it and the PC3 suffer from tiny display screens and excessive menu-diving.
April 14, 2011 @01:02pm
shadowcompany

I would assume the PC3 would have slightly better sound quality compared to the MOx series. A better comparison for overall quality would be PC3 vs. Motif XS or XF.
Still, the new MOx series is much lighter and offers a lot of bang for the buck. Unfortunately, both it and the PC3 suffer from tiny display screens and excessive menu-diving.

I think this is a good, fair response and I hope the OP reads, or has read it.
April 30, 2011 @07:18pm
Synthologist

I hope the OP reads, or has read it.

Appears to be long gone.
May 1, 2011 @07:57pm
Keys4U

I actually have the same dilema. I just returned a Korg M3...and I was not very impressed with the sound quality of the piano and organs. I have been told by others that the Kurzweil offers the best B3 emulation on the market, but I have never been fortunate enough to try a Kurzweil PC361 in my area. The MOX6 looks like a pretty solid choice, but I'm a bit confused. Any insight would glad be appreciated.
-Mitch
May 15, 2011 @07:46pm
Synthologist

The PC3 series should offer better organ sounds than the MOX. Yamaha isn't known for stellar Hammond sounds, and their Leslie sims are just so-so.
Of course Kurzweil is known for small display screens, endless menu diving, and confusing manuals.
May 15, 2011 @11:53pm
Keys4U

Thanks very much for your reply Synthologist. This is a tough choice, and I wish the solution was more cut and dry. Both companies have different strengths. I have never used a Kurzweil before. The online tutorials make it appear the PC3 series is fairly easy to navigate, and the sound samples of acoustic instruments and pianos sounds very realistic. Not sure which way to go :(
May 16, 2011 @01:56am
jpleong

Of course Kurzweil is known for small display screens, endless menu diving, and confusing manuals.

The same could be said of Yamaha. I use all of three sounds on my loaded S30 because it takes too long for me to dial in anything else :p Of course, that synth is a decade old now... :o
JP
May 16, 2011 @02:05pm
Synthologist

I would recommend spending plenty of time with both keyboards at a local pro music store and see which one feels the most comfortable to you. Audition the sounds you need--compare them side by side.
May 16, 2011 @02:07pm
lovewithyou8808

good post
as you know
I just returned a Korg M3
I want to inform you that both it and the PC3 suffer from tiny display screens and excessive menu-diving.
may be i remember incorrectly;)
he MOX6 looks like a pretty solid choice
do you agree with me
this is my own personal thoughts only
they are too expensive for me
By the way,do you know Coach Glasses You can see it!
July 26, 2011 @02:38am