0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

New Roland Jupiter-80

Synthologist

Just released at Musikmesse 2011

Information & specs here:
http://www.synth.me/music-gear/musikmesse-2011-roland-jupiter-80-officially-announced
April 6, 2011 @06:53pm
TheKeytarist

On one hand, it looks pretty awesome and it's always cool when Roland anounces something new. On the other hand, it looks like Roland just slapped their digital technology on their Jupiter name. Still looks pretty interesting.
April 7, 2011 @01:10pm
Synthologist

Not much interest in new products from Musikmesse I guess.
April 14, 2011 @01:35pm
Justin

This one is on our site now as well.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Jupiter80/
April 14, 2011 @02:30pm
Synthologist

Thanks Justin.
Looks like Roland hasn't given out much info yet... lots of "TBD" listed in the specs.
April 15, 2011 @02:51pm
Devnor

I have a Kronos on the way but I intend on picking up a Jupiter 80 sometime this summer.
April 18, 2011 @05:42pm
TheKeytarist

I'd like to see a REAL analog synth from Roland... How about a Jupeter 81?
April 20, 2011 @01:45am
Guitarplayer

I'd like to see a REAL analog synth from Roland... How about a Jupeter 81?

The original Jupiter 8 sold for around $5000.00 in 1981 money so accounting for inflation alone a "new" Jupiter would be well over $12,000.00 in 2011 money. And that's IF you could find the exact same components and labor at the same relative cost as you could in 1981 - which you can't. Kinda makes the $8000.00 ones on FleaBay look like a realtive bargain, eh? :)
Some components used in the original are simply no longer available - RoHS anyone? So Roland would have to substitute modern equivalents - which means that folks would still complain that it's not a real Jupiter because of the different components. And how many people would line up to pay $12,000.00 for a "modern equivalent"? Not many I'd wager. Any takers?
April 29, 2011 @04:27pm
ACB

Not much interest in new products from Musikmesse I guess.

As concerns the Jupiter 80 I'm with you synthologist!
In this day and age, it has become the norm to be jaded and cynical.
I'm a little "green" and cynical about *some* things but NOT the Jupiter 80.
Word (or rumour) has it that a LOT of people are willing to wait 30 days longer for the JP 80than they are for the Kronos! And the JP is NOT a workstation!
Roland read my mind almost to the letter about WHAT kind of synth would be VERY useful in the now.It's a little creepy but this is what I've always wanted!
Just ONE caveat,but a *small* one. No MIDI tracking but I'm SURE Roland will address that somewhere down the line. The Jupiter is JUST the beginning!
April 29, 2011 @08:34pm
shadowcompany

Word (or rumour) has it that a LOT of people are willing to wait 30 days longer for the JP 80than they are for the Kronos! And the JP is NOT a workstation!

Not sure where your getting you info from, but using harmony central and keyboard magazines forums for my first basis, I would say what I saw disputes this. When I do a simple search for the Kronos on Keyboard magazines forums I see threads with 10-15 pages of discussion and lust. When I do searches for the Jupiter 80, a few threads with a few comments not even more than a few pages and most not even more than one page. I also went into Guitar Center in Hollywood, one of the largest keyboard retailers in the world, and spoke with a few sales people and a keyboard dept manager, very little buzz over the Jupiter 80, on the other hand, the keyboard dept manager said the buzz and requests for preorder info on the Kronos is very, very high according to him. I was in West LA music another huge, huge music store and spoke for awhile with david barker a manager who told me people are asking all the time about the Kronos and he hasn't had one request yet for the Jupiter 80. Looking at the forums on a few other music/keyboard sites, you can find long multiple page threads on the Kronos, nothing near that on the Jupiter 80. I also called Sam Ash in New York as well as spoke to the people at the CG in LA. The preoder requests and info for the Jupiter 80 is almost non existent. My local stores here , GC, Sam Ash and two mom and pop shops also confirmed the exact same thing. Now granted these are different boards you can't compare head to head, but everything I've read, heard and seen seems to contradict the buzz over the Jupiter 80 versus the Kronos.
April 30, 2011 @07:01pm
jonweb

this is a hell of device. you can do wonders with this. i'm still long way to go with this kind of gear, still using dubturbo and hope to move forward soon.
November 2, 2011 @09:13pm
dblues

Why didn't they just make it a full 88 keys?
db
March 24, 2012 @02:53am
jjhcw

I have the Jupiter 80 , and love it!! I also have the KRONOS and it is great too. Very different beasts, but both are great boards, and both packed with features. Love the 76 synth keys on the Jupiter 80. Very well built synth, solid. Sounds amazing! Looks great too!
jjhcw
Roland Jupiter 80, Korg KRONOS, Yamaha XF7, Roland GAIA, IMac i7, Komplete 8,Papen, Arturia etc.
May 14, 2012 @10:38pm
Synthologist

Congrats!
So far, none of the music stores around here carry the Jupiter-80... nor plan to. It's unfortunate, but understandable in this economy.
May 15, 2012 @10:40am