0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Fender American Standard P-Bass

Big Bottom Willie

OK people, I played one of these new in a local store and it sounded great, and the feel/fit/finish rivaled my Lakland (which I think says a lot) - other than the ridiculously cheap-feeling pots, that is.
Does anyone out there own one or have any feedback to share? I've never been a huge Fender fan because I've felt them to be overpriced, maybe just riding the Fender name without actually delivering the goods. But judging by this one example, it seems like that may no longer be the case...
Any feedback is appreciated.
March 16, 2011 @08:03pm
anotherfender

can't comment on the MIA but I bought a MIM P-bass a couple years ago, nice bass, good fit/finish/sound. I also have a MIA Tele, again, very nice guitar, so here's a couple of good reports.
March 17, 2011 @02:48am
rct

I've been using Fenders and Gibsons since 1971. Some things are expensive because thats what some things are. Save your money, buy the real thing, you won't ever regret it.
rct
March 17, 2011 @12:48pm
robocolor

I've used an American Standard P bass since 2000. I used it on probably over 500 gigs. I never had to adjust the truss rod and it always sounded great. This model had a less massive bridge back then, but I don't know for sure if the bridge has a huge impact on the sound. Mine does have the strings going through the body.
I've also played other basses, but this P-bass seems to always feel great. I agree that they are overpriced, though. You could build a Warmoth for less if you are handy. I didn't know that back then.
July 4, 2011 @02:19am
TimmyP1955

A couple of friends have them and are quite pleased.
However whenever I mix a band with a P-Bass player, I usually miss the B string.
July 4, 2011 @10:43am