0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best Mic & pre amp for home studio

bothdunns2

I have a Delta 1010 and pro tools m-powered, what pre amp & mic would serve me best for vocals without costing too much? I am new to this forum, my name is Mike Dunn from Walker,La.
March 8, 2011 @04:16pm
roundhill

There is no best. What sounds great for one voice sounds bad for another. I'm partial to Shure mics and the True P-solo is a great pre amp. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
March 8, 2011 @09:22pm
Mick Cannon

I would say whatever is pleasing to "your ears" and fits within your home studio budget. Recently bought a Bluebird mic and a UA Solo610. Very sweet. I'm a nubbie. My first post here. Mickey from TX.
March 11, 2011 @04:32am
Bluesman48

Microphone/Preamp selection is very highly (as others here have suggested) subjective. I would recommend you do some research online with respect to both. Having said that I have had very good vocals and acoustic guitar recordings with an AT4040 and a Grace Design m101 micpre. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. By way of an entirely subjective plug: I would contact the good folks @ Sweetwater they can save you a lot of time and answer your questions at the same time, and no I don't work @ Sweetwater I'm just a very satisfied customer.:)
March 13, 2011 @03:27pm
inky

Golden Age Project Pre 73 $349! No kidding, you will not believe this thing. The latest version is even better then the original but 50 bucks more. I wish Sweetwater sold these. they would sell a ton. Their other vendors wold probably scream YOU can't get decent preamp for less than $1000 or $2000. Well I'm here to tell you, Yes you can.
December 13, 2011 @11:52pm
Ted

I've heard good things about those preamps. The closest thing we have in a Neve-style preamp to that would be the Chameleon Labs 7602, which is a bit more expensive but it does include the EQ as well as the preamp and is well under $1000...
December 14, 2011 @06:23pm
timwarneka

Golden Age Project Pre 73 $349! No kidding, you will not believe this thing. The latest version is even better then the original but 50 bucks more. I wish Sweetwater sold these. they would sell a ton. Their other vendors wold probably scream YOU can't get decent preamp for less than $1000 or $2000. Well I'm here to tell you, Yes you can.

Depends on what you're using it for. I tried a GAP 73 Pre for voice over work. Very noisy. I sent it back. Of course, YMMV.
February 18, 2012 @04:51am
TimmyP1955

Look into the RNP by FMR Audio.
February 20, 2012 @07:09am