0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

about to upgrade...

mindsound

I have a 2 yr old CS rack running XP & Cubase 4. Im about 2 upgrade to Windows 7 32-bit & Cubase 6. Anyone have any advice before i screw everything up?
February 15, 2011 @09:44pm
mindsound

Oh yeah, already got all new drivers, etc. ready to go... so i'm looking for any other advice... Thanks
February 15, 2011 @09:46pm
Justin

Make sure your motherboard is supported on Win7, there are some older ASUS boards that only got Vista drivers, but it sounds like you already found the Win7 ones.
It's usually best to back up everything and then do a fresh install instead of a in-place upgrade. You will have to fresh install anyway if you're moving from 32-bit to 64-bit.
Deauthorize any software on the original OS before you wipe the system.
February 16, 2011 @04:04pm
mindsound

Thanks Justin. I got Windows 7 & Cubase 6 up and working. I ran the compatibility tool from windows first and found everything in order. Got most my drivers and plugins back in place. I ended up using Acronis to restore original systems settings. Then did fresh install of both Windows 7 & Cubase 6. Firepods are synced and all seems well. Keeping fingers crossed! Haha.
February 17, 2011 @06:19pm
mindsound

Ok. I got everything installed and I'm now facing the dreaded CPU overload/drop out problem even though i'm maxing ASIO at only 30%. I'm running a core 2 duo CS rack with Cubase 6 and 2 Firepods. Did every optimisation I could think of/find (buffer size, Windows 7 opti's, multiprocessing uncheck, etc.) and the problem got better but didn't go away. Now only happens every 3rd pass through song or so. I can't figure out if it's a windows, cubase or firepod issue. Tried killing all plugs (especially old ones) but still happens. Can anyone suggest any other possible fixes? I've been delaying clients for a week now. About to start losing work....
James Eliser
Mindsound Studio
February 20, 2011 @06:33pm
Justin

You may want to get a call in to our tech support at 1.800.222.4700 x6400.
Our techs work on phone / email, not on the discussion forums, so those are the best ways to reach them.
February 21, 2011 @03:30pm
mindsound

Justin,
Thanks. That's the plan for today. Will be calling as soon as I get to the studio. If I/we find a fix, I will post it here in case anyone else runs into this problem.
I did find something interesting in all this. I disabled firewall and defender from inside the Security Center in Windows and then went to System Services and found they were still running. So I disabled them from inside there and now they don't start up. It didn't fix my problem, but it did help it happen less often.
-James
February 21, 2011 @05:31pm
Justin

Were you able to get this worked out? I see the techs talked to you. I didn't know if ASIO4all helped you work around the driver issue.
April 8, 2011 @09:46pm