0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Not SHURE how to do this

AetherKnight

I'm planning on buying a Shure 55SH Series II, but have never used a non PC-Centric Mic before. I'm loving the Shure due to it's iconic look. (I know, silly me!)
I'm needing to hook it up to a computer with on-board sound card only.
Do I need to pick up any additional hardware like converters or such?
I'll admit I'm a noob at this. So, can anybody please help me out?
February 1, 2011 @08:58pm
TimmyP1955

You need a mic preamp or mixer with a USB output.
I would not buy that mic. Its sound is very mediocre.
February 2, 2011 @04:32am
AetherKnight

In that case, are there any mics with a similar look that have a half way decent sound for less than $300? Mostly going to be running the vocals through phasers and flanges, but would be nice to not sound like a methed out chipmunk to start off with . . . lol.
It's rough trying to start out on a limited budget, AND keep the wife happy with her aesthetics.
February 2, 2011 @05:23am
TimmyP1955

Heil has the Heritage and The Fin. Used Heils often sell for a good price on eBay. http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/deco.php
On occasion you can find a 55 or a clone that has been retrofitted with a better capsule. It won't sound the same as the mic the capsule came from, but should be better than a 55.
February 2, 2011 @11:30pm
AetherKnight

Thanks, the Heritage seems to be right up her ally, looks wise. (she has this whole Elvis obsession thing going on)
February 3, 2011 @12:24am
Justin

To get it into the computer, you can use this, or a similar USB audio interface with XLR inputs. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X2u/
February 3, 2011 @02:23pm
yeahforbes

Depending on how big this Elvis obsession is, there's certainly an argument for using the 55 as he did, even if there are better options sonically.
February 3, 2011 @08:20pm
TimmyP1955

If this is for recording, I would not recommend anything we've discussed so far. I expect that Elvis' best work was recorded with a large diaphragm condenser or a ribbon after all (as are most vocals today).
February 4, 2011 @05:57am