0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Show Report

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help using Yamaha MG124CX mixer! Routing post-fader Stereo bus signal to monitors....

gaupmw

I am convinced by the user manual and block diagram for my MG124Cx that I should be able to route the post-fader Stereo bus signals to the Monitor outs--alternatively, route the Group 1/2 bus signals. I'm not able to make this work, however, and need help determining if it is something I'm doing wrong with the mixer, or possibly something broken in the mixer.
According to the manual, the individual PFL (pre-fader) on/off buttons on each channel seem to play some role in allowing or disallowing this routing--that is, if the PFL button is depressed on a channel, only its pre-fader signal can go to the monitor outs, by way of the PFL bus. I'm not sure if this is a channel-by-channel impact, or if just ONE PFL button being on will prevent ANY/ALL signals assigned to Stereo bus (or Group 1/2) from being routed to Monitor outs, using the Stereo/Group 1/2 button.
However, when I tried a test of sending one channel (assigned to Stereo, and I was hearing it over my main speakers) to the Monitor speakers, I had ALL of the PFL buttons turned off just to be sure none of them could prevent this rerouting, and I had the monitor button set to Stereo, yet no sound out of the monitors.
I also noticed that I could not route the 2TR input to the monitors--was hearing it fine on the stereo mains, but not on monitors.
My theory is there is something wrong with my mixer's PFL control circuit--it is activated as if one or more PFL buttons were engaged, even when all of these buttons are disengaged--and is preventing the routing of Stereo/Group 1-2/2TR to my monitor outs. Or I could just be an idiot and doing something wrong! I'm open to either/other theories about this!
January 18, 2011 @05:23pm
eRoland

I am not to sure what you are trying to do. The PFL will cut the channel output and send only that one channel to where ever you have it assigned. This is used mainly to monitor one signal at a time to solo it for eq and level setting during sound check. It has other uses but do not use it to route because it will cut it out of main mix during show.
There is a button next to the white monitor/phones pot (knob) over the stereo fader. It will send the main stereo mix our just the sub group to the monitor out.
By each input channel fader ypou can assign the channel to white 1/2 button, red st button or both. If you do not assign the gruop to stereo (mains) with the red button next to the group fader, You can use gruop fader for monitor level and the stereo for mains volume. Thers is a white button next to the monitor/stereo pot to control level out to monitor jack.
Hope I said it right.
January 21, 2011 @05:53pm
yeahforbes

The Monitor/Phones bus will have a copy of the Stereo or Group signal unless you engage PFL on one or more channels, in which case it will have only those channels (and without regard to their fader levels). PFL never affects the actual ST or 1-2 signals in any way.
If your Monitor/Phones bus does not receive the Stereo/Group signal when all PFL buttons are disengaged, then the mixer needs repair.
As a workaround until you get it repaired, you could take the Stereo Out (using whichever jacks you don't currently use -- XLR or TRS, or even the RCA Rec Out) and patch them over to 11/12 or Effect Rtn, and keep PFL engaged on that channel when you want to hear it in your Monitor/Phones.
January 21, 2011 @07:34pm
markwdaisy

I just got the MG124CX and I'm trying to figure out how to set up my monitors. I'm only using one for my acoustic shows right now. On my old POS Behringer, I was able to adjust how much the vocals and guitar were each coming into the monitor individually.. basically had it set so there were a little more vocals coming to the monitor than guitar. I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the MG124CX. Any simple/for noob instructions on how to do this on the MG124cx would be greatly appreciated!
June 18, 2012 @08:26pm
markwdaisy

I just got the MG124CX and I'm trying to figure out how to set up my monitors. I'm only using one for my acoustic shows right now. On my old POS Behringer, I was able to adjust how much the vocals and guitar were each coming into the monitor individually.. basically had it set so there were a little more vocals coming to the monitor than guitar. I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the MG124CX. Any simple/for noob instructions on how to do this on the MG124cx would be greatly appreciated!
June 18, 2012 @08:26pm
jpleong

Need more details. How is everything hooked up?
JP
June 19, 2012 @02:16am