0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 2

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help with Electric Drum Kit

thephantom

I am looking for a very inexpensive electric drum kit and I need help as I am green in this world. I want a double bass and the rest should be your standard kit. I don't want to spend more than $700... is that possible or am I dreaming?
January 10, 2003 @09:52pm
Ted

If you're looking at used stuff, you may be able to pull it off...do you have a double bass drum pedal already?
-Ted
January 10, 2003 @10:06pm
thephantom

Originally posted by Ted
If you're looking at used stuff, you may be able to pull it off...do you have a double bass drum pedal already?
-Ted

Nope. I am starting fresh. I do have a PA system that I can use to amplify the sound, right?
January 10, 2003 @10:20pm
cmchamp

Yes, the PA can amplify the sound, but do you realize the PA is going to have to maintain 115db + to even approach the volume from a real set?
Are you looking for less to pack? If you're not looking at used edrums, you're probably out of luck. Most 'decent' kits will start for double that. Besides, the less expensive edrums don't have very natural sounding cymbals. Guess it depends on your genra.
January 10, 2003 @10:37pm
thephantom

So either buy used or cough up twice more than what I want to spend, right? The PA can do the job but it's probably not a good idea? What would you recommend to amplify and deliever the sound?
January 13, 2003 @02:28pm
Ted

So either buy used or cough up twice more than what I want to spend, right?

Unfortunately, that's pretty much it...the least expensive kit we carry runs about $1300 new, and doesn't include a kick drum pedal, so you'll need to budget in a little more for that, especially if you want a double kick.
The PA can do the job but it's probably not a good idea? What would you recommend to amplify and deliever the sound?

Actually, a PA is probably the best thing if you want to reproduce the kit at a "natural" level...most other systems would have a hard time going loud enough. What type of situation are you going to be using the kit in? One of the nice things about electric drums is you don't need to run them at the full level of an acoustic kit. If you're looking more for something to use at home, headphones work fine as well...
-Ted
January 13, 2003 @03:20pm
thephantom

Originally posted by Ted

Unfortunately, that's pretty much it...the least expensive kit we carry runs about $1300 new, and doesn't include a kick drum pedal, so you'll need to budget in a little more for that, especially if you want a double kick.
Actually, a PA is probably the best thing if you want to reproduce the kit at a "natural" level...most other systems would have a hard time going loud enough. What type of situation are you going to be using the kit in? One of the nice things about electric drums is you don't need to run them at the full level of an acoustic kit. If you're looking more for something to use at home, headphones work fine as well...
-Ted

I wanted the e-kit because of the volume control function. The headphone idea it great! How much would a double kick bass run me?
January 13, 2003 @03:27pm
Ted

It depends on the kit you got...some kits have a pad that's big enough to attach a double-kick pedal to, and some come with little triggers that will only accomodate a single pedal. It'll probably be a wash either way...most decent double-kick pedals run from about $200-$400 (I think...I haven't bought one for over ten years so I'm not exactly up to date on pricing), where the little triggers run about $150 but then you'd have to buy two single-kick pedals as well...
-Ted
January 13, 2003 @03:32pm
thephantom

Originally posted by Ted
It depends on the kit you got...some kits have a pad that's big enough to attach a double-kick pedal to, and some come with little triggers that will only accomodate a single pedal. It'll probably be a wash either way...most decent double-kick pedals run from about $200-$400 (I think...I haven't bought one for over ten years so I'm not exactly up to date on pricing), where the little triggers run about $150 but then you'd have to buy two single-kick pedals as well...
-Ted

Thank you very much, Ted! I really appreciate it!
January 13, 2003 @03:34pm
Chris Jude

If you can be a little more specific, I might can give you some pretty specific responses. I'd need to know what you mean by "standard" kit (how many pieces, cymbals, etc.), what kind of music you will be doing, and whether you have any other special needs/preferences.
Most kits won't come with a throne or kick pedal(s) and many don't give you a snare stand. Good entry level kits start around $1,000, and top end kits can go for over $4,000 for just the off the shelf stuff.
January 13, 2003 @06:22pm
thephantom

Originally posted by Chris Jude
If you can be a little more specific, I might can give you some pretty specific responses. I'd need to know what you mean by "standard" kit (how many pieces, cymbals, etc.), what kind of music you will be doing, and whether you have any other special needs/preferences.
Most kits won't come with a throne or kick pedal(s) and many don't give you a snare stand. Good entry level kits start around $1,000, and top end kits can go for over $4,000 for just the off the shelf stuff.

Music: Varies from 80's glam rock to today's main stream. I will not be using this kit for any other reason other than just playing around for my own entertainment.
Standard Kit: Snare, Hi Hat, 2 cymbals, 2 more drums, and a double bass.
I guess a grand for a new set is not bad. Where do you think I can find some used ones online?
January 13, 2003 @06:28pm
Chris Jude

The Hart Prodigy, Yamaha DT Express, and Roland V-Club kits can generally be had for around $1,000. The V-Club lists for $1,200 per Roland's pricing policy, but can be bought for less as I say.
As for used, look for these same kits on eBay. Strange but true, they often sell for more used on eBay then you can pay new, but occasionally you can snag a deal.
Also consider that most of those kits won't accommodate your double-bass wishes without a second kick trigger and pedal or swapping out to a bigger trigger that will allow a double pedal. Both the switch and or the double pedal will cost.
And just to add another monkey to the wrench, mesh head pads can be had for starting around another $250 more. Many prefer the feel of these to the rubber pads.
Do a little homework and definitely try before you buy to the extent that you can.
January 14, 2003 @03:34am
thephantom

Thank you very much, everyone! You guys have been very helpful.
January 14, 2003 @02:44pm
Ted

The Hart Prodigy, Yamaha DT Express, and Roland V-Club kits can generally be had for around $1,000. The V-Club lists for $1,200 per Roland's pricing policy, but can be bought for less as I say.

The V-Club set actually lists for $1495, not $1200. Nobody sells it for that...and I'd imagine you'd be hard-pressed to find it for a thousand dollars new. Someone would have to be pretty desparate to move inventory to sell it at that price.
And just to add another monkey to the wrench, mesh head pads can be had for starting around another $250 more. Many prefer the feel of these to the rubber pads.

They can even be found for a little less...Roland's 8-inch PD80 runs just under $200. Mesh pads are great...they have a different feel than rubber pads, and are much quieter. Most people do seem to prefer their feel to the rubber pads...I'm one of those odd guys who actually prefers the feel of a rubber pad to mesh.
-Ted
January 14, 2003 @03:07pm
thephantom

January 14, 2003 @03:09pm