0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help! firewire interface decision

lpetrenka

Iv been in the market for a new firewire interface. I cant seem to make up my mind between the M-audio 2626, Presonus firestudio 2626, and the Focusrite saffire pro 40. Any suggestions..?
December 29, 2010 @05:58pm
nine99nine

Is there a specific reason you want to go the way of firewire? Computer manufacturers are phasing out firewire for USB and soon to be other connections. Unless there is something specifically limiting you to firewire, I would suggest looking at a USB interface. Companies like RME have made a name for themselves by making USB a very stable and useful connection over firewire.
January 12, 2011 @03:13am
NhocCuteGirl

Is there a specific reason you want to go the way of firewire? Computer manufacturers are phasing out firewire for USB and soon to be other connections. Unless there is something specifically limiting you to firewire, I would suggest looking at a USB interface. Companies like RME have made a name for themselves by making USB a very stable and useful connection over firewire.
January 12, 2011 @05:30am
TimOBrien

Computer manufacturers are phasing out firewire for USB....

Only when you need less than 16 simultaneous i/o channels.
Firewire and pci is your own options above that.
Computer manufacturers are just making you pick out your own pci or Expresscard firewire card so they dont have to pay licensing fees for the vast bulk of normal users who do not do what we do....
January 12, 2011 @12:52pm
Kevyn

I've been debating over this hard decision myself with some of the same models. I'm at odds about the following...
Focusrite Saffire PRO 40
PreSonus FireStudio 2626
MOTU 828mkII now the 828mk3 Hybrid
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Overall the PreSonus has all the I/O I want or need but lacks dual headphone outputs. I adds to its favor Studio One (which could come in handy since I'm phasing myself out of Pro Tools), optional remote, and word clock capabilities but the layout of the interface itself is a turnoff as I don't personally like seeing the mic connectors on the front of the unit.
I don't like the metering features/layout on the M-Audio unit (personal opinion) and with AVID starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth I really don't want to have to deal with them with the next phase of my recording system.
The MOTU unit is a tad bit out of my price range and lacks more Mic inputs (I would like to see at least 4) but it has the best rep for compatibility and stability.
Focusrite has the perfect layout and feature set I'm looking for and has some of the best sounding mic preamps on the market (again personal opinion) and also has a nice software bundle to go along with it and it's in my price range
I looked at some other brands as well (Mackie, Apogee, Steinberg, etc) but I kept coming back to these and I think my final decision will be made the day of purchase... I hope you have better luck with your decision than I.
January 13, 2011 @07:51pm