0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

DI Impendence

optix52

I am running a new Yamaha mixer with preamp capabilities. I just ordered a DI box to connect in our bass guitar into the mixer. I realize I have to balance the signal in order to do that. The DI converts the standard unbalanced bass signal into a low impedance balanced mic signal. Just a question of curiosity- what is the impedance level of a standard bass guitar? I play the mixer, and that is extent of my musical talents.
December 29, 2010 @02:00am
DAS

Most guitars and basses have high impedance outputs (at least 1000 ohms, often much more), which among other things makes it difficult to run their signals over a long distance.
December 29, 2010 @01:00pm
TimmyP1955

The only thing you need to worry about - a little - is the input impedance of the DI - IF the instrument is passive. The higher the input impedance, the better the instrument will sound (as the DI will load it less). I like the Radial Pro48 and the Audiopile.net active DIs. If the instrument is active, a passive DI will be just fine. If the instrument has a piezo pickup, you should have an active DI with very hi input impedance - 1M Ohm or better. I believe that the Countryman 85 meets that, as does the Radial PZ-DI.
December 30, 2010 @05:24am
cvcguy

You need a di box to convert the signal only if you are going longer distances, which is going to be most of the time, unless the mixer is onstage. If the bass (or other instrument) is within 15 or 20 feet of the mixer, it can be plugged directly into 1/4 inch jack on the mixer. I like the Countryman. The impedence becomes an issue in the connection from instrument to mixer because high impedence offers more resistance to the signal and low impedence offers less- hence the low impedence signal will travel long distances. That's how I understand it.
February 28, 2011 @04:15am
cvcguy

Actually, I'm not sure I got the technical stuff right, but the unbalanced signal from the instrument is good for short distances, and the balanced signal from a mic or di box is good for long distances. Hope that helps.
February 28, 2011 @04:26am