0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

YAMAHA 03D/RME Fireface 400 Cable Configuration

stirkoff

Dear Friends,
I am setting up a low budget studio and I have the following items:
Yamaha 03d
RME Fireface 400
Presonus Monitor Station
as core recording elements. My problem is that I cannot figure out the cable configuration of these elements. I googled every word combination I could think of but I was lost in the cable and input terminology and I also don't want to damage any of the hardware through trial and error.
It would be extremely helpful if someone out there has accurate and specific knowledge.
Thank you
December 15, 2010 @03:02pm
Andrew_Malloy

The 03d was a great mixer, the problem is that you need to have full sized YGDAI cards, and not the mini-YGDAI cards that are available now and you would have pretty limited connectivity between the mixer and the interface. If you can get a hold of an 8 channel YGDAI ADAT card, you can then link 8 channels digitally to the FF400.
My suggestion is to ditch the 03d for a control surface or a newer mixer that would give you better computer integration.
December 15, 2010 @03:18pm
stirkoff

Thank you for your prompt reply Andrew. On the YGDAI cards section of the 03d manual a CD-8 AT ADAT card is mentioned . Do you know whether it is compatible with FF400? As it will cost me about $300 with shipment and depending on your suggestion to replace the mixer do you have any RME-compatible brand and model suggestions? (The 03d mixer is almost never used. It looks like it is in working condition when powered up as the LCD menu lights up but I have no idea whether it is functional.)
Other YGDAI cards mentioned in the manual are as follows:
-CD8-TDII Tascam card
-CD8-AE-S AES/EBU card
-CD8-Y Yamaha card
-CD8-CS Cascade card
Thank you
December 16, 2010 @08:28am
Andrew_Malloy

The ADAT card would be compatible, but you would only get 8 channels on it. You could use it as a front end to the FF400, but I don't see it being much use after that.
December 16, 2010 @02:56pm
stirkoff

Thank you. I guess I will only use it as a midi device to control cubase then.
December 17, 2010 @07:18am