0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

3 questions..

Jim Gaynor

1) I'm using 2 monitors, the VGA and DVI-I out put. Will i have any problems if i use the Creation Station's HDMI output for a 3rd monitor, and run it about 30 feet away from the computor?
2) I have VISTA, should/can I upgrad to Windows 7?
3) I have 6 gigs of ram. Can i add more. I've heard of trouble when going past 7 gigs.
THANKS!!
November 29, 2010 @04:48pm
Justin

1. The built in video card only supports output to 2 of the 3 ports at a time. You would need another card for the 3rd monitor. Extending it that far depends on which standard you use, the resolution of the display, and the quality of the cable. We sell Gefen products, and they make a wide array of repeaters, extenders, and adapters that may help if you have issues at that distance.
2. Recent Creation Stations can upgrade to Win7. Some older motherboards don't have driver support for Windows 7, so it will depend on when you bought your Creation Station.
If nothing is broken, I wouldn't change it unless you just really want to run Windows 7 instead. If you're looking at moving to ProTools 9, you will need to switch to Windows 7. If you're not comfortable doing this kind of upgrade yourself, our service department can get you a quote on upgrading your OS and software.
3. Depends on which Creation Station motherboard you have. 6GB sounds like a Rack XT, the current board supports a maximum of 24GB. Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit caps out at 16GB RAM. If you have a 32-bit OS, then you can only address the first 4GB.
November 29, 2010 @04:57pm
Jim Gaynor

.....great answers! Thanks!
November 29, 2010 @11:05pm