rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

differences between american strats -vs- non-american 'strats

brianbfw

My question is the title.
What are the differences between full american 'starts (around1K) and the non-american strats (around$500-$700).
I've joined a very popular R&B top 40 group, and i need to do alot of the funk type sounds. I don't have a 'strat, but i know it's perfect for the genera i'm doing.
A few other issues
1)I'm concerned about the the single coil noise problems and tuning. I do have to use high gain when covering some modern tracks (katy perry, etc). Do i need a hum cancellor or something?
2)Do the full american strats stay in tune pretty well.
3)Can i run gauge .10 strings? .009's are just too filmsy for me.
thanks,
Brian
November 22, 2010 @04:03pm
PRSWILL

So here's my humble opinion.... There are MANY foreign made Fenders' that sound pretty good- the Japanese versions are better than the Mexican. I think a lot has to do with the wiring- not just Pickups- but what gauge wire, how well insulated/shielded, etc. they are all play a part. The American Strats have a better feel- the wood is higher quality- if you're looking for a book-matched grain, you'll never get that with the foreign made guitars. Also the feel of the necks are a lot different- I prefer a thin neck with the edges rounded off so the frets aren't sharp on the corners- again, you can find this from time to time on a foreign model or have it done later if you'd like.
the tuners are hugely different- and this does affect playability, intonation and the gauge of string that will perfrom best.
Now for my "color" on this- I think Fender makes WAY too many Stratocasters. This used to be a great name in guitars and today they are mass-produced by the millions. It waters down the value ( in my eyes) of a really nice American Made Strat. For example, I really want a 2004, 50th Anniversary Fender American Deluxe Strat. These go for $ 1000-1400 used and are in my opinion one of the best playing strats ever made. The problem is- they keep making 60's re-issues, road worn, American Deluxe, Tex-mex, and all sorts of other Strats that sound pretty good for half the money. How do you justify spending 1000 or more on this intrument? Even worse- I'd also like a 62 Custom Shop Relic reissue- but it's the same story- too many models and they all start to blend together, watering down the really great instruments with the not so great.
Today you can go buy a SQUIRE- let's start really low end- have the neck / frets dressed, re-wire it with the best sounding Pups available, buy a better trem system and tuning pegs for it with a nice pick-board and do this all for 1/2 of the cost of a American made deluxe. doesn't that take away something from the value of a American made guitar? sorry to rant-
At the end of the day, buying an older strat ( early 70's or late 60's if you can afford it) probably is the only safe investment bet with these guitars. As for Playability - you can make anything great if you try hard and spend enough money.
Look at a PRS if you want something really awesome- I have two and love them- tremendous range of sound and they hold their value really well.
November 22, 2010 @04:29pm
GM Reszel

So here's my humble opinion.... There are MANY foreign made Fenders' that sound pretty good,,,,I think Fender makes WAY too many Stratocasters. This used to be a great name in guitars and today they are mass-produced by the millions,,,How do you justify spending 1000 or more on this intrument? Even worse- I'd also like a 62 Custom Shop Relic reissue- but it's the same story- too many models and they all start to blend together, watering down the really great instruments with the not so great.

Agreed with a lot of this. My take: so much of it is in the setup - it is oft overlooked - any guitar is only as good as the setup. The stock tuners, wiring, pickups on my 62 RI strat and Squier tele work fine. The strat sounds like a vintage strat, ditto for the tele - they work great for me live. In a studio setting however one may get a little more persnickety on the details like noisless pups but all the hardware is good.
There are too many levels of models and countries of mfgr origin of strats that do make it tough to decide what to buy. I'm professionally happy with my less expensive models. One can be tricked by peers and marketing that you need to spend the extra $$$ to have the USA made stamp. They are excellent but you will have decide if the differences in price justify the expense. For me they don't.
November 24, 2010 @02:10pm
expresso

look at a PRS if you want something really awesome- I have two and love them- tremendous range of sound and they hold their value really well.

yes they are good quality but the neck profile is too different from that of a Fender. I would have liked to get a PRS, but the neck is too wide for me, and it goes really wide at the upper registers!
June 30, 2012 @02:59pm