0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

simple amp question

loganv

im completely new to guitars and im wondering what kind of amp you recommend for hard rock/metal. maybe its a stupid question and all amps can sound the same. im looking at spending around $100. ive been looking at the fender frontman 25r and mustang, also the line 6 spider 3 i think
November 10, 2010 @11:16pm
MrMischke

I've been playing guitar for a couple years now, and I'm loving the Fenders. I've never played the 25R, but I had my eye on it for a while as well. But if you're completely new to guitar you might want to go with something a bit smaller like the Fender Frontman 15G, little bit less power, no reverb, but still sounds good for a beginner amp, plus it's only $70. Or the 15R, same amp, less power. It's like $80 too. By the way, what kind of guitar do you have? Anywho, another good choice would be the Line 6 Spider IV series, the Spider IV 15 comes with several effects, channels for various levels of distortion, and is only $100. I've been looking at those for a while too.
November 11, 2010 @12:31am
loganv

i have an ibanez rg2e1x. ive been looking at the spider IV too but i worry about the quality and sound from what ive read.
November 12, 2010 @06:00pm
GM Reszel

I use a Frontman 15g and it is excellent. I can get a great metal grind and the clean is also stellar. How they get a little cheapo to sound so good is remarkable!
November 14, 2010 @06:12pm
Stretchr

IMHO, for the money, you can't beat the Peavey VYPYR series. Great value, lots of flexibility and free software and firmware upgrades! I have the VYPYR 75 and love the amp modeling capabilities, 11 editable pre-amplifier "Stompbox" effects, 11 Editable "Rack" effects with the ability to use up to 5 effects simultaneously and lots more features worth checking out.
December 21, 2010 @10:35am
jimbo5924

Kustom Amplification makes a little 5 watt all tube amp for $99-off the top of my head I don't remember the model name or number but you can just google "Kustom Amplification". Keep in mind that 5 tube watts can be pretty loud, at least as loud as the 15watt Frontman and probably at least as loud as the 25R Frontman. Depends on what you're looking for in tone.
April 17, 2011 @10:11pm
livingwater

Depends on your musical taste
VOX Valvetronix for the effects
Fender combo tube amp
December 10, 2011 @01:42pm
reverbie65

im completely new to guitars and im wondering what kind of amp you recommend for hard rock/metal. maybe its a stupid question and all amps can sound the same. im looking at spending around $100. ive been looking at the fender frontman 25r and mustang, also the line 6 spider 3 i think

I would see if you could get a Princeton Plus 112 Amp it is about 35 watts and would do very nicely for you you can bump up the gain and you will get that sound you are looking for 25watts is OK but 35 better amp has a Headphone Jack as well is portable I don't think Fender is making this anymore but a used one would do very nicely for you. what type instrument a guitar with Humbuckers or single coil?
January 18, 2012 @04:54am