rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Kramer KS-400 Guitar. Anybody ever had one of these?

oscarb

Greetings Everybody- Recently went to a garage sale with the wife. And got lucky and found a Kramer KS-400 (Strat copy) guitar for about $30.00. Got it home and found that it works. Just got to replace the tuners and put new strings on. Hopefully this may be a keeper. Besides I need a new project to keep my mind on. Have not been able to find a serial number on it anywhere!? Does anybody know anything about this guitar? I think these guitars were made in the 80`s. But that`s all I know about them. They could have been beginner`s type of guitar. But if anyone knows something about them (quality, pick-up type, etc.) I would appreciate any knowledge. Thanks in advance.- Oscar
November 7, 2010 @09:46pm
R Whittington

Hi Oscar,
Decent import guitar. They were an entry level model and used ones sell for less than $100 pretty regularly.
November 8, 2010 @01:31pm
oscarb

Thanks for getting back to me regarding the guitar. I`m getting ready to drop over $100 worth of parts in it as we speak. I sure hope its worth it. Not even thinking about selling it, just feel like doing a guitar project. I feel more productive when I`m doing something, especially when it comes to guitars. I am currently disabled/retired due to failed back surgery. So this last year or so, I have been slowly trying to get back to normal. So when I found this guitar I figured maybe I can re-animate it since I can`t do the same for myself. I am also trying to find out as much as I can regarding this guitar. So I have been purchasing parts from GFS lately hoping to bring this guitar back to life. I will try to post some pictures of my progress as time goes on. Well, got to go. Take care everyone. Peace. - Oscar
November 12, 2010 @02:31am
GM Reszel

It's nothing really exceptional so I wouldn't sink too much. If the arm recess on the body top is shaded out black it's likely a plywood body - not always bad but ply is as ply does.
November 15, 2010 @01:50pm
oscarb

Greetings Everyone, Just to let everyone know I finally got all new parts to upgrade this guitar. Purchased parts from GFS. After putting everything in I was so pissed off cause the pre-wired pickguard I purchased did`nt fit right. Also the volume knob did`nt work right either. Then to top it off when I went t to adjust the truss rod I found it loose. I was unable to adjust it no matter what I did. This really fustrated me beyond belief. Does anyone know how to remove the truss rod without having to remove the fretboard. I just finished dropping over $100 bucks worth of parts is this thing. I have fret buzz on every string after the 7th fret. I can`t believe I never checked the truss rod !! What a day I had yesterday. I really wanted a project and everything was great till I got to setting it up. If their is anyone with any knowledge regarding this matter I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.- OscarB
November 16, 2010 @11:50pm
R Whittington

Hi Oscar,
It sounds like you may have purchased Stratocaster replacement parts and yes they may not fit properly. I know right now you're po'd...but this might work out for you in the long run. You may have yourself a experiment/project guitar at this point. Not totally a bad thing. It sounds like you may develop into a bit of a tinkerer with guitars and having one like this...you can always experiment on it before modifying a more expensive, more prized instrument. The parts aren't necessarily a waste. You just need to find a decent strat to put them in. Many folks will buy a Squier strat with the intent of upgrading parts and generally make a better guitar out of them. Keep in mind though there are two different strat pickguards. those with 8 mounting screws (most "50's" models) and those with 11 (most everything else). Sorry it hasn't worked out for you just yet.
November 17, 2010 @01:02pm
GM Reszel

Yeah Os, what Richard said - Kramer won't fit standard strat parts where pickguard is regarded.. Not much comfort from me as I'm sure now you're just frustrated with the expense.
As for the truss repair, there's a tool that can rethread the rod w/o taking off the board but the tool is $$$. However, I'm not totally convinced the truss is broken. To make sure it works/doesn't keep trying to clockwise thread it on. If someone loosened the truss nut all the way sometimes it takes many cw turns to get to where it's adjusting.
November 17, 2010 @01:45pm
oscarb

Attn Richard / GM, Greetings gentlemen. I am still upset with the waste of time & money over the KS-400 guitar. But after reading your letters I know deep in my heart that you guys are right. I showed alot of love toward that guitar. And it paid me back with frustration. Ahh such is life!! Anyway I also have a Epiphone SG guitar. And just last night I came to the conclusion that it was time to change the strings again. I replaced the original plastic nut on it with a bone nut and I cleaned up the fretboard with a little lemon oil too. While working on this beauty of mine I remembered that I had a set of tulip (greenish) tuners left over from a previous repair. And lo & behold, would`nt you know I did something right for a change. I can`t believe how much of an improvement that made. She rings now and sounds better than ever. Perhaps I don`t stink at this stuff after all. It took me a while cause I had to drill a couple of extra holes in the head stock. But nevertheless she came out singing. I really felt proud of myself. I have you guys to thank. God bless you all. (I really do mean it!) For a while I thought everything could go wrong but it seems I finally got something right. Regarding that old Kramer, I do have a buddy that has an old Squier that has been neglected for a long time. I just might have to take mercy on it and do for it what I could`nt do for myself. You know this forum is almost like therapy. I have been bummed for a few years due to failed back surgery. But repairing guitars is just what the Dr. ordered. I don`t plan on doing any expensive repairs cause I don`t have the technical skills to take on something of quality. But about that truss rod it just keeps spinning & spinning. I`ve got to figure a way to remove it without tearing up the fingerboard. But in the mean time I want to take it easy. I may spend some time working on my Epiphone Dot guitar. But I think I will just play my SG for a while and enjoy my moment of glory. Take care. Hasta la vista everyone. Peace.
November 18, 2010 @03:27am
GM Reszel

You're walking a good path Os. Work is cursed, the results and knowledge gleaned, blessed. You have a lot of resources at your disposal via the internet:
Project guitar
Stewart Macdonald
And many more.
Stewmac has many tools, books, videos, etc at your disposal. They have the expensive tool that can fix your Kramer truss rod but its about 250$ or so. I have a boatload of stewmac vhs repair tapes available as well that I would love to see go to a good home. Let me know if you're interested,
Greg
November 18, 2010 @02:05pm
saturn5

Greetings Everyone, Just to let everyone know I finally got all new parts to upgrade this guitar. Purchased parts from GFS. After putting everything in I was so pissed off cause the pre-wired pickguard I purchased did`nt fit right. Also the volume knob did`nt work right either. Then to top it off when I went t to adjust the truss rod I found it loose. I was unable to adjust it no matter what I did. This really fustrated me beyond belief. Does anyone know how to remove the truss rod without having to remove the fretboard. I just finished dropping over $100 bucks worth of parts is this thing. I have fret buzz on every string after the 7th fret. I can`t believe I never checked the truss rod !! What a day I had yesterday. I really wanted a project and everything was great till I got to setting it up. If their is anyone with any knowledge regarding this matter I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.- OscarB

wish I hadda seen this before ya started ....you can get the same good parts from China on ebay ; WITHOUT PAYING THE GOUGE MARKUP from the American "retailer" .
Loaded pickguard/p-ups $12-15
tuners $8 -$15
etc.
BUT in reality , I would have just said BURN IT before you even started !
July 6, 2014 @06:22pm
saturn5

You're walking a good path Os. Work is cursed, the results and knowledge gleaned, blessed. You have a lot of resources at your disposal via the internet:
Project guitar
Stewart Macdonald
And many more.
Stewmac has many tools, books, videos, etc at your disposal. They have the expensive tool that can fix your Kramer truss rod but its about 250$ or so. I have a boatload of stewmac vhs repair tapes available as well that I would love to see go to a good home. Let me know if you're interested,
Greg

WHAT????!!!!!
$250 MORE ????!!!!!
after being a $100 IDIOT ???
sure !
BE A $350 COMPLETE MORON !!!!!!!!&@#$%!!!!!!!!!
July 6, 2014 @06:25pm
saturn5

Attn Richard / GM, Greetings gentlemen. I am still upset with the waste of time & money over the KS-400 guitar. But after reading your letters I know deep in my heart that you guys are right. I showed alot of love toward that guitar. And it paid me back with frustration. Ahh such is life!! Anyway I also have a Epiphone SG guitar. And just last night I came to the conclusion that it was time to change the strings again. I replaced the original plastic nut on it with a bone nut and I cleaned up the fretboard with a little lemon oil too. While working on this beauty of mine I remembered that I had a set of tulip (greenish) tuners left over from a previous repair. And lo & behold, would`nt you know I did something right for a change. I can`t believe how much of an improvement that made. She rings now and sounds better than ever. Perhaps I don`t stink at this stuff after all. It took me a while cause I had to drill a couple of extra holes in the head stock. But nevertheless she came out singing. I really felt proud of myself. I have you guys to thank. God bless you all. (I really do mean it!) For a while I thought everything could go wrong but it seems I finally got something right. Regarding that old Kramer, I do have a buddy that has an old Squier that has been neglected for a long time. I just might have to take mercy on it and do for it what I could`nt do for myself. You know this forum is almost like therapy. I have been bummed for a few years due to failed back surgery. But repairing guitars is just what the Dr. ordered. I don`t plan on doing any expensive repairs cause I don`t have the technical skills to take on something of quality. But about that truss rod it just keeps spinning & spinning. I`ve got to figure a way to remove it without tearing up the fingerboard. But in the mean time I want to take it easy. I may spend some time working on my Epiphone Dot guitar. But I think I will just play my SG for a while and enjoy my moment of glory. Take care. Hasta la vista everyone. Peace.

I was reading and thinking YES ! finally he's catching on !
It's NOT you , its the POS garage sale junk .
You see with the Epi SG that a little love rewards you enormously
but with the "bad seed" it's like a black hole , draining you of ANY love or MONEY you sink into it
STOP AND THINK !
now take the good parts off ( if they were ??? or just overpriced Chinese )
and put it back together and GET RID OF IT for the 30 you paid !!!!
yes that squire is even a good bet , put good p-ups into those and the older ones sound pretty good , depending on the age/ model , there were some ( not indonesia affinity or bullet ) that had decent necks and bodies
the kicker is that kramer neck wouldhave been worth something IF IT WASN'T A WRECK !
there's a kid on YT putting one on a squire body , might work for him ???
July 6, 2014 @06:39pm