We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

need an external hard drive

linwood

I current have an imac and its the newest one to date. I am using protools but I mainly use logic pro9 for production. I have a Maxtor external hard drive for now and it slows my imac down for some reason even if im not trying to get anything off of it. I want to get a decent hard drive where I can have a program on my imac and the sounds on my drive. I want to be able to use the program but get the sounds from my hd without my computer being slowed down by the drive. Is there a certain drive that you all would recommend I use to make things go more smoothly? Thanks
September 12, 2010 @03:26am
Justin

Call and talk to one of our Sales Engineers about Glyph drives:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c774--Glyph--External_Hard_Drives
There are a ton of models available. Most of them include 7200 RPM hard drives, which are the same speed as your internal drive.
Most of those pocket sized external drives you see these days use a slower laptop-sized 5400 RPM hard drive inside.
Glyph drives can hook up via USB 2.0, e-SATA, & Firewire 800 or 400. So they work on a lot of different systems.
September 13, 2010 @01:09pm
jpleong

Glyph is also covered by an unbeatable 3-year warranty. And their external enclosures are incredibly well-built with the backing of excellent customer service (which I know from personal experience).
JP
September 13, 2010 @02:32pm
Yoder54

I just bought my third Glyph. Need I say more? They just had a dramatic price drop and the best deal is the 1.5 Tb.
November 12, 2010 @03:47pm
bigtyme175

Me and my friends we do alot of heavy video and audio editing and we use the G-TECH
G-DRIVES 2TB AT 7200 RPM.It is VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THAT ANY EXTERNAL DRIVE THAT YOU GET RUNS AT 7200 RPM IF YOU ARE USEING IT FOR AUDIO OR VIDEO here is a link for the drives at J&R.com just copy & paste the link below.
http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=g-drive&N=4294606185
December 23, 2010 @06:25am
holdway2

Glyph is the way to go! Sweetwater won't steer you wrong. You won't be dissappointed!
January 13, 2011 @12:20am
Trumpetguy7

I have a Glyph drive I bought from Sweetwater years ago. It's 7200 rpm.
I use the Mac Book Pro and its internal drive is 5400rpm.
The Glyph drive has done nothing but create problems for me. It records with pops and cracks but I truly believe that the problem has to be me. Sometimes it won't even want to be friends with my laptop. I'm thinking maybe I'm not connecting and powering up in the right order? I don't know!
Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?
(As of now recording using the internal drive of the laptop has been no trouble at all but eventually I'm gonna want to switch to the external drive. My glyph drive has been sitting in it's hard case for 4 years now.)
January 13, 2011 @07:39pm
TimOBrien

pops and crackles do not come from your hard drive.
sounds more like an interface setting problem.
+1 on Glyph. The one I bought from Sweetwater has run perfectly.
NO ONE ELSE will give you data recovery under warranty; that alone is worth the little extra they cost.
January 14, 2011 @02:19pm
Trumpetguy7

What kind of setting are you talking about?
Buffer? or what else is there?
January 18, 2011 @04:07pm
highroller19

I'm definitely going to have to look into getting a Glyph. It seems to be a good standard .
February 15, 2011 @09:09pm
Les P

Glyph is the way to go for back up, or to stream plug-ins. I got a 1 TB here at Sweetwater that lets me hook up with the 800 FW.
November 10, 2011 @01:21am
robertallen

Chalk up another vote for Glyph. I love my Glyph drive, especially since I can rackmount it too. Very nice and very reliable.
November 13, 2011 @12:33pm
DJ Pyra-C

You may want to check out some of the ones Lacie makes (like the Quadra series) - they're external RAID drives (2 hard drives in one enclosure, acting as a single drive), so you can optimize it for speed, or for data protection (if you use RAID 0, then both hard drives will be a duplicate of each other, so if one dies, your data remains intact).
January 14, 2012 @02:35am
Rblooz

I current have an imac and its the newest one to date. I am using protools but I mainly use logic pro9 for production. I have a Maxtor external hard drive for now and it slows my imac down for some reason even if im not trying to get anything off of it. I want to get a decent hard drive where I can have a program on my imac and the sounds on my drive. I want to be able to use the program but get the sounds from my hd without my computer being slowed down by the drive. Is there a certain drive that you all would recommend I use to make things go more smoothly? Thanks

I know this post is a couple years old but you mentioned using a Maxtor drive and it slows you down. I have had nothing but trouble with Maxtor drives and I highly recommend against them. Their product support is lip service and their products do not last, nor are they efficient. Enough said, do not use Maxtor!
February 10, 2013 @04:53am
jpleong

Well, while we're reviving old threads...
I got a few Gtechs a few years ago with the assurance that they were every bit as good as Glyph (one of their reps even implied that they offered the same level of data recovery and touted their customer service). One of the drives had intermittent connectivity. I talked to a local videographer who also had Gtechs and he, too, had some problems. It took a month to hear back from their Customer Support and by then I just decided to replace them with Glyphs. The last few Gtechs I saw in the store had only one-year warranties. It was disappointing to see a brand marketed to professionals be no better than a WD or Seagate.
I've had multiple Lacie Quadra drives fail, too. Glyphs are the only drives I recommend to anyone.
JP
February 11, 2013 @02:12am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!